Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What wellies to get??  (Read 18349 times)

Sandy

Re: What wellies to get??
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 01:56:28 pm »
seen some Le Chameau boots  that I love, how sad is that, would prefer them to some jimmy choo  ::) trouble is the ones I like are over £200 OR  12 cheap  bottles, 5 mid range bottles or 3 expensive bottles of whiskey..sooo..will I wont I????
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:59:42 pm by Sandy »

Sandy

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »
 ::) ::) Not exactly wellies or possibly suitable for thick mud but I love them!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »
I'd suggest a watching brief on eBay...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 03:09:38 pm »
Those are really nice boots Sandy

Muck Boots are the only wellies I can get that will fit my very Victorian legs, mine have lasted a long time, last year a got these so much better grip than the ones I had beofre
http://www.muckbootco.co.uk/greta.html

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 03:31:26 pm »
Daisy I totaly agree, I have the same ones but green, love the purple ones but they all end up the same colour, I have a small hole in t he bottom of my ones as the stones put down for the heavy plant in the forest,have pierced even that strong bottom...I too, like I said have victorian legs!!!

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 03:39:20 pm »
I have a pair of Dunlop Actifort's and they are great; had these and Puroforts for the past 5 years and wouldn't even think about any others now. Under £50 as well!
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

violet

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
I'm a Dunlop girl too  ;)

Had a pair given too me years ago and they lasted 4 years of rough wear.
Then tried the cheap & cheerful, the expensive & the reccomended. The worst only lasted a couple months - none lasted the season.
I chose purofort too and am delighted - 2 years wear so far & still going strong  :)

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 05:36:10 pm »
I heard from some one that its not staying in certain footware but staying in the same ones. The bacteria have constant food, moisture and warmth unless you leave them off to dry out in the fresh air and wear some thing else.

I have my thick sole Muck Boots and my Thinner sole, nearly dead, Muddies, they are similar and I wear both..not one on each foot ::) but alternate them to match my outfits, brown ripped Muddies to go with my brown ripped coat and Green BIG Muck boots to go with my big Berghus Mucky coat  ;)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 05:54:31 pm »
Riggers are great generally but not waterproof.
Hunters didn't last me the year.
Muck boots - the criss cross soles just wore away smooth and became lethally slippy - haven't tried the tread type
Presently wearing - cheap wellies when I'm near the pond/river and riggers generally.
Like all of you .... still searching for the ultimate welly ..... the search continues  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 05:55:12 pm »
Take it all back - just found Croc wellies so going to try them  ;D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 06:02:15 pm »
I have to say that everything I've had from Ariat - either wellies or boots have lasted superbly and are very comfortable. My Ariat Glacier boots went across the Andes 5 years ago and are still going strong.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Sandy

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:57 pm »
Oh Rosemary, you've just reminded me, the dogs chewed Steves Ikea Crocs while he's away   :o

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 06:53:53 pm »
Until very recently, I was employed full time as a trout-farmer and I have tried em all.

I have had a very expensive pair of 'hunters'...I cant remember what they were called, but they had hand-stitching and a leather lining (I got em for £55 from TKMaxx, I would never part with the rrp which was over £200). I have wide feet and they hurt like buggery. My wife now has them. I have had various Aigle wellies, bur the zippy ones seem to fall apart from there. I ended up buying cheap green wellies in bulk from the Strauss catalogue. They had the added benefit of steel toecaps and natural rubber soles  (useful in aquaculture as they grip well to wet concrete). I think they are under a tenner a pair, and I didn't mind so much when one pair only lasted me six months.

Since I don't do that anymore, I'm experimenting with non-toecapped wellies and have bought the most basic Aigles for £20, my reasoning being that they dont have the zip and therefore have less sites to fall apart from.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 07:10:25 pm »
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Croc wellies, Rosemary.  I think I would be sceptical about the track record of a holey sandal company in making rugged real-life smallholder / farmer wellies, but I am probably just jealous because it's always too wet where I am to be able to use Crocs outdoors, at all, ever!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 08:57:13 pm »
Had some yellow boots (size 6 - the blue ones were 5's and the red ones were 7's  ;D so everyone knew exactly what size feet you have!) for over thirty years and I paid 2 quid for them!
They finally gave up two years ago due to excessive blackthorn spikes, and I was bought a very expensive pair of neoprene lined Aigle boots.  they are awesome!  Zipped so i can get in and out of them without turning beetroot colour and cosy, and more importantly, really really comfortable and supportive, which was sure as hell lacking in my yellow wellies!  I guess that averaged out over 32 years my two pairs of boots are good value!?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS