Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any British White herds in North Yorkshire?  (Read 2290 times)

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
Any British White herds in North Yorkshire?
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:08:28 pm »
I am looking for some cattle to bring on over next spring/summer on our paddocks. We had 3 highlands this year which were great, but I love the look of British Whites but don't know much about them.

Anyone got any experience of keeping them, and does anyone know of any herds in or near to North Yorkshire?
 ???
PP

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Any British White herds in North Yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:57:42 pm »
My late friend used to keep them (Perthshire).  They were very nice natured docile cattle and very striking to look at.

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:37:53 pm »
They can deal with a bit of weather then!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:12 pm »
I worked on a farm in Somerset that had 2 British White's amongst their sucklers.  They were beautiful, docile, biddable cows, had great calves and reared them well.  But then, any cow should do as much in sunny, fertile Somerset...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:01:52 am »
Take a look at the Melton Mowbray catalogue for this weekend.  One of the vendors is from the Harrogate area.  http://www.grassroots.co.uk/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00558.1.385657521019159985/push//sales/melton/cbritishwhite.pdf

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:10:17 pm »
Yes they were pretty hardy and lived on a SSSI hill most of the time although I think she did house them at some points of the winter more to save the ground than the cows tho!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS