Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ludlow ryeland sale  (Read 15407 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
Re: Ludlow ryeland sale
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 10:11:56 am »
Weyhey, I bought my new shearling tup a couple of weeks ago and he' by a Ruslin.  Particularly wanted this line as wanted a bit more size in the flock.    VERY happy now  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 10:29:16 am »
Are they registered stock and if so what bloodlines do you have?

I can register them and Jake the father is from the Keyes bloodline[/q
uote]

Can you post some pictures as can look at his bloodline through flock books? or pm.

I will do if it stops raining. I have a shearling called Marlyn or a lamb called Nathan. Marlyn has turned out very much like his dad and I think he is going to be a stunner and Nathan is shaping up nicely even though he has had a little fly strike last week.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:53 am »
Weyhey, I bought my new shearling tup a couple of weeks ago and he' by a Ruslin.  Particularly wanted this line as wanted a bit more size in the flock.    VERY happy now  ;D

Have quite a bit of Ruslin in mine as well. ;D ;D
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 11:30:17 am »
Top priced Ryeland tup went for a new breed record, 1060 guineas.

Really good day - I think everyone went home happy  8)

Was it from the Ruslin line?

Yes he was. Second highest priced was a shearling tup from Arberth flock - 940 guineas.

I puchased a ewe lamb last year at the show & sale and she is from the Arbeth line and she is now a right smasher.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 01:44:41 pm »
This is when I feel a bit remote from the breed - very few shown here, very few sold - so I don't really get to see top quality stock in the flesh. Makes it hard to select the ewes to retain and those to let go. It's just too much time and money to get to Ludlow and events in England. Maybe I should have chosen a Scottish breed, but I do love my Ryelands.  :(

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 02:28:03 pm »
The breed standard in the flock book helps to give you an idea what to look out for. To some extent you have it easier as you breed coloured ryelands.

At the end of the day if they meet the standard it is then down to your personal preference how you breed.

A big no no is over or undershot jaws, horns of any sort etc.etc. (breed standard)

Enjoy them. The breed are spreading north wards so eventually they will have show classes somewhere nearer you or enter them in mixed classes at shows. At the end of the day a healthy sheep is what you want.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:43 pm »
Just been looking at Jake's and one of my ewes certificate and the ggs is from ruslin, explains why Jake is stunning and he sires lovely lambs

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »
There were plenty of Ryelands at Thainstone on Saturday but don't think I saw a coloured one.  They are very cute.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 06:21:05 pm »
Rosemary, is Carlisle too far for you? Good entry there. Official sale this year so all stock inspected and guaranteed registered.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 06:25:58 pm »
Just been looking at Jake's and one of my ewes certificate and the ggs is from ruslin, explains why Jake is stunning and he sires lovely lambs

Would be interested to know dams of rams you have for sale as quite interesting bloodlines on the sires side.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 07:52:12 pm »
2 of my certificates are 2004 my older girls and only have numbers and don't have the bloodline on them 23212 958/D70 and 23211 958/D68 Jake is M11013 01299/J26 and my ewe is F26616 01299/J22. The rest of my flock are not registered but I can register the lambs from the above. I am watching nathans sister as I think she will be a good one so she maybe registered as well.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »
I'd love to go to Carlisle. I'll have a look at the catalogue.

I take the point about the breed standard - being somewhat anally retentive, I've made a spreadsheet with the different bits of the standard in rows and each of my sheep in a column. When we get them in this week, I'm going to score them as best I can. I've also noted data like how many lambs they've had, whether the lambing was assisted and any health issues they've had. Next year, I'm going to record birth weight and 30 day weights for each lamb. Mind you, the three originals have homes for life, even if they have three legs and one lamb every second year. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

It would be good to have a stock judging event up here with a good judge explaining why s/he's placed sheep as s/he has.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 08:29:15 pm »
I'd love to go to Carlisle. I'll have a look at the catalogue.

I take the point about the breed standard - being somewhat anally retentive, I've made a spreadsheet with the different bits of the standard in rows and each of my sheep in a column. When we get them in this week, I'm going to score them as best I can. I've also noted data like how many lambs they've had, whether the lambing was assisted and any health issues they've had. Next year, I'm going to record birth weight and 30 day weights for each lamb. Mind you, the three originals have homes for life, even if they have three legs and one lamb every second year. :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

It would be good to have a stock judging event up here with a good judge explaining why s/he's placed sheep as s/he has.

Wow - what a fantastic idea. Well done ewe.   I'd like to think I would do that too....... but I have a suspicion.....all good intentions and all that....that I might not see it through with such thoroughness.   I NEED A MENTOR........hint, hint ... to remind me at each stage ;)
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:30 am »
2 of my certificates are 2004 my older girls and only have numbers and don't have the bloodline on them 23212 958/D70 and 23211 958/D68 Jake is M11013 01299/J26 and my ewe is F26616 01299/J22. The rest of my flock are not registered but I can register the lambs from the above. I am watching nathans sister as I think she will be a good one so she maybe registered as well.

Older registration certificates didnot have bloodlines on them. The numbers are excatly what I need to see where they have come from. What price are you looking for them?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 09:06:32 am »
I must stress I am not selling any that are listed above I will sell the offspring and will register them.

Shearling ram (when registered) £170 chomping at the bit to get going this year
ram lamb (when registered) £120 he will not be able to work until next year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS