Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rooster attack  (Read 12774 times)

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Rooster attack
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 07:01:22 pm »
Only 1 thing for him for both your own safety and others - Stew pot :D

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 09:22:41 am »
Once again everyone thanks for all the advice.  Unfortunately we have had to get rid of Bertie because although I thought he had calmed down, he attacked me again yesterday morning. I was wondering about the eggs his hens lay and if I can breed a Rhode Island Red cockerel from them.  I haven't got a sitter yet but a friend has an incubator. How long can I keep the eggs in the hope of getting a sitter before putting them in the incubator? Again I would be grateful for any advice. By the way, my hens are laying well again after a spell of laying very few eggs.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 12:24:49 pm »
i think a week or two is the most time to wait for a sitter, but I could be wrong as sometimes you hear stories of eggs being bought from supermarkets and then being successfully hatched. i am having a cockerel problem at the moment. i let one of my boys wander off and live with next doors hens, he was very gentle at our place. He now has 12 girls and another cockerel with him, and has gone all testosterone fueled. he attacks the neighbours when they go in the hut for eggs and to feed them and let them in and out. they have asked me to come and ring his neck as they are scared of him, he is a light Sussex and a great specimen at that. I think I will just bring him home and stick him in a breeding arc with a couple of girls to see how he gets on. If that fails he can go in the pot, but at least I might get some chicks from him.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 12:29:48 pm »
How long can I keep the eggs in the hope of getting a sitter before putting them in the incubator? Again I would be grateful for any advice. By the way, my hens are laying well again after a spell of laying very few eggs.

Eggs are viable for almost 3 weeks but the longer you leave them the less chance you have of hatching them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 07:31:25 pm »
Must be the time of year. Our Copper Black Maran, Hector, had a run at me the other day. Assisted by the toe of my boot, he had a wee flying lesson and had decided not to mess with me. Must be the sap rising, so to speak.

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:51 pm »
 ;D  ;D  ;D
Images of horney cockrels asserting their authority had me laughing so much I almost wet myself (sorry, too much info !)
It happens with geese too (although maybe all year round in their case) ours seemed to attack things far more in the spring - and the sight of my dad 'goose stepping' across the yard in thigh high waders, hotly persued by the gander - well, I'd better not think about it too much or there WILL be an accident !  :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 11:22:54 pm »
I was attacked by a goose when I was four.  My Grandpa and I were delivering ice cream to a hotel in Grantown on Spey (he owned and ice cream factory) and I went out to play in the yard, next thing this big bird came running at me, I screamed, she hissed - yes, it was a goose NOT gander!  never liked them since except in the pot!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hardfeather

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 06:47:27 am »
When my father was young, his mother kept a pair of Chinese geese which terrorised the postie when he came down the lane to deliver the post. He used to have to shout for assistance and someone one would come to his rescue.

I've had problems with Silver Pheasant cocks in the past........they can be particularly aggressive in the breeding season.

As a keeper of gamefowl, I have to be careful as I have young children......... although the cocks are very eager to fight each other, it's the hens which are most dangerous when they've chicks at foot. They will have a go at anything which they perceive to be a threat to their chicks, and are prone to fly up into the face of child or adult who gets too close. Some of the cocks are 'man-fighters' all of the time, whilst others are only dangerous at breeding time........most are trustworthy and move away if faced up to.

In my experience, some of the utility breed cocks are more of a problem than game cocks.

I find that aggressive cocks respond well to being enthusiastically 'roughed up' (turned over and lightly shaken) in hand, then held down with one hand and 'pecked' with other, then left on the ground when you walk away. They seem to think they've had a doing from a rival, and seldom try again.  ;)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 08:15:10 am »
Our brahma is too fat to fly at me, and have you seen a brahma run?  Ministry of silly walks etc.  So far no problems with him.  Would love to pick him up, dont think my back would take the weight though. 

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 10:13:09 am »
LOL!  ;D
Who ever said poultry keeping was a nice, relaxing past-time ???
All fuzzy images of free range chickens roaming free have been replaced by those of a feathered army planning their next attack !  :D
I can't wait to get mine !

sandy

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 11:32:28 am »
A family friend used to keep geese and had one that always attacked her so she decided to dispatch it for the pot and set after it with an axe, she mananged to swipe it and it's head nearly fell off but it went running around the field spurting blood everywhere, she looked up only to find the people on the top of the double decker bus in a state of shock!!!!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 12:30:44 pm »
Very intelligent as well, we had one which was attacking my 4 yr old daughter although we heard her screams we never saw him do it, until one day she got out of the car and he ran straight at her at face height. instinct kicked in and I kicked him high into the air! Hes dead I thought but oh no he wasnt giving up that easily, he got up and came at me, I picked katie up and we ran around the car for our lives!! obly problem was he was running around the other way, we literally had stand off with him sizing up which way we were going to go next. Only one thing for it, when he calmed down we caught him and took him to farmer behind us who rung his neck, I am afraid he didnt live to see another day. Not all roosters are vicious and to me its no fun keeping a vicious one!  :)
juliag

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »
oh Sandy - hilarious - have had to go in search of an inhaler - laughed so much have tears running down my face and cant breathe !!!!!

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 09:25:54 am »
LOL Sandy excellent
juliag

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS