Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rooster attack  (Read 12843 times)

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
Rooster attack
« on: February 17, 2009, 07:31:26 pm »
Hi,
I got a bit of a shock today. Bertie our Rhode Island Red (only had him and his 3 ladies for 2 weeks) attacked me in the pen. If I hadn't had my wellies on I think he may have taken a chunk out of my leg. I tried to give him a gentle kick to show who was boss but missed him. Someone told me that once they start to attack they never change - are they right? Has anyone else had a similar problem? He is a beautiful bird and I wouldn't want to get rid of him but want to enjoy feeding and looking after him. Anything I can do? Any advice would be useful.

Brenda

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Rooster attack
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:47:19 pm »
Have had exactly the same problem with our RIR rooster. Kept on juming up towards my face, 1 day even cut a hole in my wellie with his spears. Caught him early 1 dark morning and put him in the pot. Made good eating also. Cruel maybe but he was far to dangerous.

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:56:31 pm »
Our young cockerel Henry has always been quite friendly, we were even able to pick him up when he was poorly a few weeks back.  Then last week I turned my back on him in the field and the next thing I knew he was up on my back, that was quite a shock.  I was hoping it was a one off then two days ago I went into the pen to pick up eggs and he attacked my leg, claws in and beak pecking.  Today he ran at my husband in the field and he had to fend him off with a stick and he attacked him again when he went in the pen this evening.  He is such a beautiful looking bird (white with black necklace and gorgeous green tinged tail feathers) it would be such a pity to get rid but if this carries on I think he is going to have to go in the pot!  
Hilary

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »
We've had this problem too and I know of no way to cure it.  If you ignore it they just carry on and if you try to give them a "clip round the ear" they fight back!
On both occasions we ended up eating him :(  We recently had to dispose of a neighbours cockerel too as he had a similar vice and was attacking thier 4 year old daughter.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:29:37 pm »
We had same prob with ours. After the initial shock of being attacked i was perpared and started to catch him when he attacked, gave him the shock of his life he's not done it again, stays well out of the way. If this hadn't worked i think i would have been the same in the pot!! :chook: :chook: :chook:

SmallHolder

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:53 pm »
We had a Similar Problem, it was either a Fox Came around And after that Roosters just dont trust, Make sure he has little food and feed him to make him trust you again (Healthy Diet i dont mean Starve him) Or one of the Hens are getting Chicks.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:10 pm »
I had this problem a while back with the younger cockerel - did the same - grabbed him and picked him up, tucked him under my arm so he couldn't struggle and stared at him straight in the eye holding his neck at the top with my free hand,  giving him a good piece of my mind. Walked around the run with him under my arm doing the other jobs as best I could one handed, then shut him in the shed for a couple of hours on his own in the dark.  He never tried it again and always steered well clear of me.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:21:56 am »
Glad I'm not the only chicken hugger on here!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:23:30 am »
My ex batts all have a cuddle every morning, and they love a good old natter while I am feeding, changing water, cleaning up etc ;D  The LS flee for their lives!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 08:11:39 am »
I have a cuddle of mine too when I can, I certainly talk to them....No I'm not starting that discussion about chicken language again!!!!!! This item reminded me of my ex, he hated chickens as he and his twin brother used to have competitions to she how high they could wee over the chicken hutch, I'm sure you can guess whats comming?......one obviously thought they had a nice worm and jumped up and pecked him very hard!!!!

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 09:35:27 am »
Sandy that reminds me of what happened recently, Buck Roger our male goat was standing with his little pink pecker flapping about and one of the chickens spied it and ran straight up and pecked it, I just wish I'd had the camera to catch the look of shock on his face!  Back to the cockerel attacking, I think there are a lot of hormones raging in our barn at the moment.  The goats have been kidding so we have nursing mothers and one of the geese has a nest of eggs which Ugly our naked neck chicken is sharing the brooding of.  Ugly has only been laying for a couple of weeks bless her.  There are two nest boxes in the chicken pen she could sit on but she prefers the goose nest.  Homer our male goose is also very protective/aggressive at the moment and chases everything that goes near him or his girls (he got my leg last week as well - I'm going in armed with a stick these days!) so you frequently hear Ugly clucking loudly when he chases her off the nest (she goes straight back in afterwards though). 
Hilary

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:59:50 pm »
Thanks for the advice once again. I would love to pick him up as you did Doganjo and give him a talking to but I feel a bit wary of him at the moment. If I pluck up the courage, I'll do this and let you know how he responds. I don't want to put him in a pot but would be prepared to do so if necessary. I had hoped to breed some Rhode Island Reds from him but I haven't got a sitter yet. Very funny stories about rather intimate bites -great story Sandy about how high your ex and his twin brother could wee over the chicken hutch. It looks as though they deserved a good pecking.
As well as Bertie and his women, I've got a variety of other hens in an adjacent pen with a cockerel of their own.  I've changed the feed for all of them. I now give them wheat, cracked corn and rolled barley with cod liver oil from time to time. This is as a result of reading about hormones being in some layers pellets. Problem is they are laying very little at the moment. I think it could be for a number of reasons - one being the change of feed, another the snow (it has now gone) and another could be that a few of them seem to be moulting. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'll keep going with the new feed for a while to see how it goes. I hope it's not the hormones in the layers pellets making them lay more.
Cheers once again
Brenda

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:12 pm »
Hi Brenda

If you have changed the food, and it's lower protein, that could be affecting laying.  I know that the output of eggs is linked to the protein content of the food and remember reading about an experiment that was done to get hens to lay through the winter without light (I think during wwII)  and they found that hens would lay through the winter if their food was 25% protein.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 04:24:56 pm »
My granny (the one responsible for the goat in the cardy episode) used to have a bantam rooster who was so bad that she had to trap him under a big bucket and put a brick on top to stop him tearing her legs to bits ! Daily collecting of the eggs became a millitary operation, with at least 3 people needed to catch the little bu***r and restrain him - lol!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 04:42:06 pm »
Thanks for the advice once again. I would love to pick him up as you did Doganjo and give him a talking to but I feel a bit wary of him at the moment. If I pluck up the courage, I'll do this and let you know how he responds. I don't want to put him in a pot but would be prepared to do so if necessary. I had hoped to breed some Rhode Island Reds from him but I haven't got a sitter yet. Very funny stories about rather intimate bites -great story Sandy about how high your ex and his twin brother could wee over the chicken hutch. It looks as though they deserved a good pecking.
As well as Bertie and his women, I've got a variety of other hens in an adjacent pen with a cockerel of their own.  I've changed the feed for all of them. I now give them wheat, cracked corn and rolled barley with cod liver oil from time to time. This is as a result of reading about hormones being in some layers pellets. Problem is they are laying very little at the moment. I think it could be for a number of reasons - one being the change of feed, another the snow (it has now gone) and another could be that a few of them seem to be moulting. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'll keep going with the new feed for a while to see how it goes. I hope it's not the hormones in the layers pellets making them lay more.
Cheers once again
Brenda
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS