Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone done a home kill ?  (Read 15411 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Anyone done a home kill ?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:55:51 am »
I'm not sure how come but I think the rules are different in Wales.  I looked into it some years (maybe 6 years) ago, so there could have been changes since.

Anyway, at that time, in Wales the household could eat the meat, and it was legal to have someone come and slaughter on the holding for you.  In England, as people have been saying, the official line was that only the slaughterer could eat the meat, not other family members, and the slaughterer had to live on the holding.

I would much prefer it done at home, it has to be less stressful for the pigs, doesn't it?

It was inevitable that this topic would go off into a general discussion on home-killing - sorry, Karen!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 01:10:35 am »
and interesting the regional variations    cheaper and easier to take them to the slaughter house     anyone tried getting rid of guts legaly and what does it cost :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 07:22:32 am »
Ther are three versions of the home kill guidance - one for each country

Scotlands below

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/homeslaughterlivestockscot.pdf

Haven't read all three line for line, but think they say the same thing

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 07:59:54 am »
Thanks for all the info folks - I'll pass it on  ;)

Personally, I think I prefer taking them to the slaughterhouse  :-\
I'd hate to have anything happen doing it at home and as many of you have said, getting rid of the 'waste' is definately not as easy as chucking it in the bin  :o

Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 08:19:18 am »
also the killing point       some pigs have double skulls  and just shrug of a small bullet     then you have a big problem on your hands :farmer:

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:07 pm »
also the killing point       some pigs have double skulls  and just shrug of a small bullet     then you have a big problem on your hands :farmer:quote] to do a successful kill at home you need a 44 gal drum steel, that sits on a frame to allow you to put a fire underneath it., and fill that full of water, Light up your fire, and position your bath.  Have the hose near by as the water might be too hot when put into the bath and you will have to cool it down to 68 - 70degress farenheit.  Before the bath is filled you need to go out to shoot the pig and have a front end loader or two strong lads to lift a dead weight pig over the fence. You shoot the pig just behind the ear and towards the brain you will kill the pig  one shot, no mess and no fuss,  he will just drop to the ground. You bring the pig back and give  him a minute to bleed out.  Fill your bath   while this is happening and when the temperture is right put the pig into the bath. Use a spade to remove a good proportion of the hair, make life easier on the table. Lift the pig  out after a couple of minutes an proceeed with a knife (sharp) to remove the  hair off the skin,  YOu might ahve to put him back in for  a couple of minutes but wait and see what temperature the water is before you do this.

Once the hair has been removed, hang your pig on a farme and cut the  skin up along the stomach to the chest, careful not to cut open any of the stomach contents or the bladder.   Once the body is open drop the guts into a bucket.   Clean the pigs intnernal cavity thoroughly with the hose.  Dig a hole in the garden and bury the guts, out of the birds and foxes way.  This will break down in no time.  Put a meat bag over the carcass and leave over night for the meat to set.

Next morning take the pig indoors and butcher it yourself, or get a butcher to do it for you   any excess fat can be rendered down and stored as lard  in small contaienrs, and this can be done in the microwave.  You can collect the heart, liver , kidneys,   And you can keep the skin on the roasts, just score before freezing.   pack meat into freezer bags and freeze.
 Hope this helps  all you first timers.  Enjoy !

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »
 a good input from blonde that may be suitable to Australia  BUT NOT THE UK
first i would take issue with the location to shoot              the humane society clearly define the exact location of x marks the spot
second  DO NOT TAKE BLONDE ADVICE ON DISPOSSLE OF THE GUTS/WASTE this is illegal unless you have dispensation because of your remote location :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »
Yeah, thanks Blonde - a very detailed description. I'm guessing you've done a few yourself  ;)
I'm just not 100% doing it at home, but at least I have the info if I change my mind (which, being a woman, I'm very likely to do  ::) :D)
Thanks
Karen  :wave:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 08:45:36 pm »
sod all that, slaughter house for me when ready, doing chickens is bad enough. bloody feathers everywhere.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
Even tho my slaughter house isn't local to me i'd always take them there.  Think the only time i'd kill one of my own was if it was down or serioiusly injured :( i've researched that too and there is a local firm that will collect a dead pig for us and do whatever they do with it lol

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:23 am »
Very interesting thread. I have nothing to add personally but it brought to mind a lovely story by our dearly missed Wizard, about how it were done in t'old days. A bit long to embed so I have linked it. The countrymans way of keeping and killing his pig in the 1940's
Enjoy  :wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

oink

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 10:50:56 am »
An interesting thread.  I think in the uk, and I include myself in this, we are a bit too far removed from the necessity of home kills.  My dad retired to a small island off tasmania and they used to determine the killing size of the pig by the largest bath that was available!

One day I'd like to 'take care' of the pigs at home as I'm sure they don't like the trip to the slaughter house. I try to make it as stress free as possible but the idea that it could end in their familiar environment does appeal.  I think I'd need a lot more experience before I ever attempt it though, and a better setup for the butchering.

PS loved the story from Wizard.

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 01:14:14 pm »
and interesting the regional variations    cheaper and easier to take them to the slaughter house     anyone tried getting rid of guts legaly and what does it cost :farmer:

It costs me £10 to dispose of animal bones, fat and waste (2 x 80 litre sealed dustbins).  One has to be registered with the environment agency as a 'Licensed Waste Carrier - exempt' to transport it to the rendering plant.

I don't do 'home kill' as I sell my meat but I believe the situation to be as follows:
You can kill the pig yourself (humanely), gut it, cut it up provided it is for your own consumption.  If you hire a slaughterman to do it for you at home he can only kill it, he cannot gut it etc as he would be providing a 'service' and that is illegal.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 03:01:22 pm »
Blondes description of killing and cleaning etc states that "next morning" you start butchering it.  Presumably in the UK we'd always hang for a week before butchering ?

robert waddell

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 03:42:19 pm »
it is meant to hang in a chill for 1 night     at a slaughterhouse        at home in a shed who knows what is near it if left to hang :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS