Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FReezer recommendations please  (Read 4534 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
FReezer recommendations please
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:18:48 pm »
We have a large uprgith freezer and also a fairly large chest freezer.  This year they are stuffed full and I think it's safe to say that we are going to run out of space just very shortly...good news and bad in a oner!

so I think we need to buy a new one, probably a smallish chest one so that we can switch on and off as produce levels vary.

What do folks recommend? 

As ever, we are a bit strapped for spare cash, so looking for something cheap and cheerful :)

Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: FReezer recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:15:07 pm »
I bought myself a medium sized chest freezer this year and would strongly advise that you look up customer reviews on any model you may be going to buy before making a decision - particularly if you are wanting a 'cheap and cheerful' solution. 

For instance, the Norwest chest freezer will come up frequently, it's not too large and not expensive.  But if you check the customer reviews you will find it nearly always has a problem with the lid shutting (a friend of mine bought one and hers does too); a few people have checked how much food it can freeze and found it does not freeze as much as quickly as its literature would suggest, and several have found that it doesn't readily maintain the required -18 deg C internally (whether this is linked to the faulty lid shutting I don't know.)

Even if you are buying second hand you should still be able to find customer reviews on the model itself (try websites like Comet, Currys, John Lewis etc, or just google it) before you decide.

Best of luck!
Cheers
Sally x
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 02:17:10 pm »
thanks Sally, yes i do usually check reviews but I also like to ask folks that I think will know too....belt and braces :)oh and thanks for the heads up about the Norwest one

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:55:33 pm »
We bought a 4 fott long chest freezer by Swan and it's been no trouble over the past 2 years. Lid workd OK and it seals well.  No frost around the top either. Only drawback is it has no internal light. Not a problem for us as it's in a well lit barn, but may be an issue for you.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:48:57 pm »
We tend to buy John Lewis because they only sell stuff that works and I can't afford Miele.  New freezers will be far more economical to run than older models.

Incidentally it's called a chest freezer cos that's what happens when you lean in to get to the stuff at the bottom.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:10 pm »
'Incidentally it's called a chest freezer cos that's what happens when you lean in to get to the stuff at the bottom'

Very funny Waterhouse  ;D ;D  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »
ordered!
thnks everyone

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS