Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: water turning dirty in IBC tank, harmful?  (Read 3760 times)

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
water turning dirty in IBC tank, harmful?
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:10:02 pm »
I've got an IBC tank and it fills with rainwater from the roof, its started to go a bit dirty in colour.  The water seems ok when you fill a bucket, and the chickens drink it, is it nothing to worry about?

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: water turning dirty in IBC tank, harmful?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »
is it a clear IBC container?  I cover mine with a dark tarpaulin so it doesn't get algae in it, which I suspect is what you have in it.  i guess it depends on what it contained before you got it?  Mine was used for washing liquid so is quite clean!  you might try pressure washing it and then using some kind of brewers sterliser in it and see if that stops it. Hope your livestock is OK.

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »
mines gone the same  usely drain it after it gets bad ad give it a clean with a brush on a pole wether it would harm the stock iv no idea i just give it a clean after the summer as its many only used in the winter to supply the lambing shed

doss93

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:47:40 pm »
we have a bore hole and tank supplying our water for livestock only to keep the water algae free we put a small amount of barley straw in a net so it cant escape in the water it lasts for about 5 years if i remember but it defiantly works, also it will not affect the livestock in any way i hope this helps :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS