Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly goat - advice please  (Read 14973 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: Poorly goat - advice please
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »
I noticed she was a bit shivery around lunchtime so rang the vet again.

As a precaution against pneumonia she gave me some penicillin and an anti-inflamatory for her. Have to inject her daily for the next five days.

She's taken some food and water though so I'm hopeful she'll be back to normal soon.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 05:51:33 am »
Is she producing a reasonable amount of droppings   ... is it near normal in consistency.  If so, the gut is working but slowly.

Natural live yoghurt would be the best way to kick start the rumen... a small carton down the throat.... because the penicillin will also kill off the the bacteria in the gut.

Have you got any Heptavac P ?   It may be too late for it but worth a shot.. give her 4ml under the skin even if her vaccinations are up to date... this will help prevent the pasteurella taking over which is what I think the shivering is the start .  Keep her warmly rugged up at all times & only give warm water.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 12:11:39 pm »
I hope you little girl is better soon. Please keep us updated.

Good Luck,

Mary.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 12:17:34 pm »
Fingers crossed, poor love :-*

Wytsend, my silly goats eat some layers pellets and sometimes the duck food every day, they seem to really like it  :o What is it that's poisonous, or is it the effect on the rumen (so bloat, acidosis etc.)? I will try to change the feeders if I am chancing with their health, cos I love my goats to bits and I didn't realise it was dangerous :-\

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:38:38 pm »
I don't know what the problem is with poultry food of all types.... I only know I have lost a goat to eating it, so has Roxy.

It is one of the documented absolute no-nos  and every time I hear a goat has eaten poultry food, I shudder.
The amount eaten at any one time is more probably the cause of fatalities, but nobody seems to have the answers with regard to a build up of the toxins.

Much better to prevent access to any poultry food of any type.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 06:14:53 pm »

She's much better today. She's walking round, eating and foraging, and looking a lot more like her old self.

The shivering has stopped completely.

I've a pack of rumen start that I might give her with her supper and I'll carry on with the penicillin injections for the rest of the week, as a precaution.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »
Very glad to hear she's doing well :)

My cheeky goats are into the layers pellets as they swipe them from the feeders as they pass through the chicken yard on the way to their paddocks. And the little Houdinis, otherwise known as goat kids, often let themselves back in and munch a bit more at some point  :P

Guess I'd better try to find some more goat-proof feeders if such things exist!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 11:58:59 pm »
It does say on the layers pellets bags that we have, that it must not be fed to other animals including sheep.  Goats do seem to like layers pellets - whatever causes them to be ill by eating it, I do not know, but please ......do your best to keep your goats away from it ......it still haunts me remembering Primrose lying flat out, and she has not eaten a lot.  The other two goats who helped her, were very lucky they survived.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 09:39:26 am »
Ive been lucky so far then, I won't chance it any longer  :-[ Difficult to manage today, the weather is so awful both goats and chooks are in the goat byre. Will have to get my thinking cap on.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »
Both stayed indoors this morning as it was raining but this afternoon they were both out and ravaging the willow trees.

Business as normal, methinks.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 06:58:18 pm »
Glad things are ok with you.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:11:58 pm by jaykay »

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 06:51:34 pm »
Is it poisonous because of too much Vitamin 'A'?  manufacturers use Vit A as a preservative and anti oxidant, Look at your dog food bags and read the contents, there are thousands of units of vit A as a preservative,
Layer pellets are probably the same , vitamin A in large quantities is poisonous , the liver can't cope with it.
If a human eats too many carrots they turn yellow and can die of liver failure from this vitamin poisoning.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 05:32:58 am »
I doubt that very much.... goats are the only domesticated species that I am aware of that can get rid of any surplus minerals/vitamins not required.  Which is why they don't suffer from copper poisoning like sheep do... they dump the surplus.

I am more inclined towards the binder that is used for poultry pellets... I was once told that it is totally different to other feeds !!!!   ... but of course you must remember that poultry food also contains elements to keep the crop/gizzard working,  which is why it is not essential to feed grit to layers.  Advisable but not essential.

It maybe that this is the 'enemy in the camp' !

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 01:24:02 am »
Well she's back to her normal troublesome self :)

Had to pull her bodily out of the henhouse hatch this afternoon. Hopefully she didnt get more than a few pellets. I've stopped filling the hen feeder so much and no only give them enough for the day/night.

Pickked up a syringe and tube from the farm supplies store I use so at least it'll be easier to get the oil down her if she gets poorly again.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 07:15:23 am »
Well she's back to her normal troublesome self
Sounds good  :)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS