Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly goat - advice please  (Read 14965 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Poorly goat - advice please
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:35:00 am »

Bella, one of our two goats, is under the weather. It came on quite suddenly during the course of yesterday.

She's listless, off her food, appears bloated and constipated, looks a little unsteady on her feet, and with some foam around her mouth.

She's a bit of a bugger for raiding the henhouse and I wondered if this could be caused by her having eaten layer pellets?

Flash, the other goat, seems completely normal btw so I'm not suspecting anything contagious.

I was half suspicious she might be about to give birth but as we've not put her with a billy this would have to have happened prior to our gettign them both a few weeks ago.

HappyHippy

Re: Poorly goat - advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:46:22 am »
I know nothing about goats, but reading the first part of your description I thought labour too  :-\
Can you mix some oil in with her food, this would maybe help if it is constipation ?

Hopefully the goat experts will be along soon  ;)
Karen x

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 10:53:18 am »
do they foam around mouth in labour? i think it sounds belly related. does she have bloat at all? isnt that an emergency (with cows anyway)
has she eaten barley? we lost a lamb to barley poisoning once, even though he had his stomach pumped by vet. it ferments inside them.
good luck

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:23:41 am »

Jut been speaking to the vet and she says it sounds like bloat, too. Trouble is the vet's forty miles away :(

I'm going to try getting some cooking oil down her throat and walk her around a bit.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:49:37 am »
u can save their lifes by stabbing them and letting out the gas, if u know where and how. rather u than me. good luck  :love:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:48:47 pm »
If you suspect chicken food...GET THE VET QUICKLY... poultry food is toxic to goats.

Without help she might not last the night... sorry to be rather blunt but you do not have time on your side.
Another poster on this forum had exactly the same problem & lost the goat.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 01:25:02 pm »

Yes, I know about chicken feed being toxic. Fortunately she's only been able to get at small amounts where she sticks her head into the henhouse.

Managed to get some vegetable oil down her earlier and give her a good walk round.

She seems quite a lot brighter, has passed some sloppy poo, and there are clear signs of movement from within.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 02:27:18 pm »
good luck ambriel, i hope she is ok

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 02:42:47 pm »

She seems quite a lot brighter, has passed some sloppy poo, and there are clear signs of movement from within.

Clear movements ?
Do you mean in terms of passing poo/gas or something moving inside her (like a kid) ?  :o
Hope she's back to her old self soon  ;)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:04:11 pm »

Yes, she's passed a little runny poo and urine, too. I've been massaging her stomache as well as walking her round. You can hear gurgling inside and feel it, too.

Looking brighter. I'm not going to give her any food when I put her away for the night but will make sure there's plenty of water.

Fingers crossed for the morning.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:08:19 pm »
bicarb of soda, cream crackers, as well as the oil might help.
It'll help the rumen neutralise

hope she ok,
:goat:
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:58:10 pm »
Yes, it was me, who lost a goat a few weeks back, when she and two others got into the feed store.  She had not had a lot of layers pellets, just ripped a hole in the bag, but it was enough to cause serious damage.

Do hope your goat is ok.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:54:32 am »
Should she have some hay though? I've not had a goat with bloat but have had some with digestive problems and have a feeling its important to keep the rumen working with hay or it will shut down. I could be wrong though  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:42:16 am »

She's looking at lot better this morning.

The bloating is very much reduced and she's showing some interest in food.

She's tucked up in their house with plenty of hay and a blanket over her as there's quite a fresh wind today.

I'll try her on some crackers and bi-carb - thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to drive over and collect some rumen start from the vet, too.

HappyHippy

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 01:10:16 pm »
Glad she's doing better.
My granny used to put a cardigan on our castrated billy when it was cold, folks used to think she was ever so slightly mad though - seems not  ;)
Karen x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS