Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you feed your free range hens?  (Read 5735 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
What do you feed your free range hens?
« on: August 02, 2011, 01:00:31 pm »

This may sound like a daft question, but what do you all feed your free range hens?   Ours currently have the run of five acres, and are just fed a scoop of wheat in the morning, and again at night (we took on the existing flock when we moved into the house, and just kept everything the same, since this is what had been done for years). However, the number of eggs we get is pretty disappointing (only two or three a day, from ten hens of laying age), and I'm trying to work out why.

I tried giving them layers pellets ad-lib, to see if that improved things, but to be honest they weren't that interested.

So what do the rest of you do, and do you have any good ideas as to what should I try next?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
Re: What do you feed your free range hens?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »
Mine get layers pellets in the morning and then some mixed corn mid afternoon, they don't generally eat very many layers pellets though. We seem to get plenty of eggs, although quite a few of mine are broody at the moment so aren't laying.
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:30:24 pm »
Mine have layers pellets available all the time and then mixed corn scattered for them in the afternoon.  Plenty of eggs at the moment.

Are yours laying anywhere else Womble?  Have a look under hedges and in long grass....Could be the reason for you having less eggs.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 01:37:14 pm »

Oh yes, they're definitely laying elsewhere..... in fact just about everywhere!   ::)  However, this has been going on for a few months now, so unless there's a hidden nest somewhere with six hundred eggs in it, I don't think that can be the whole answer!  :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:24:15 pm »
We're the same - layers pellets and some mixed corn once a day (usually afternoon) and we do tend to give them the crusts off the bread (stupid small sized toaster ::)) and the occaisional bit of left over mashed tatties or rice, but it's once in a blue moon that there's anything left with my little locusts  ::) ;)
We're getting 3 eggs a day from 5 hens, sometimes 4 - but my cuckoo marran has stopped laying altogether  :( I miss those dark brown eggs !
Karen  :wave:

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:49:45 pm »

Ours get layer pellets in a feeder inside the henhouse. Sometimes they'll get some barley or maize mixed in with this for variety.

During the day they've quick to dive in between the pigs and goats when they're being fed plus the occasional scoop of barley or maize thrown onto the lawn.

Round and about they pick at the grass and rake up bettles and worms.

If the Kune's are in 'bulldozer mode' they follow on behind looking for something juicy to scoop up.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:56:36 pm »
I get 7 eggs most days from 8 hens and I'm pretty sure one of them is getting too old to lay.  They are in a large gravel run, I feed tehm layers pellets only with occasional greens and bread.  And every second day they get about 3 hours on a third of an acre of mostly grass.  A chicken breeder friend told me they don't need anything else than the pellets as it is a complete food.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:30:55 am »
we feed layers with corn as extra at luch time :yum:
a few of ours have started moulting ........ as are the turkeys so egg production down  :(

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:20:22 am »
mine don't like the pellets much.  They love the corn, but spend much of their time digging up the garden!  Have you considered the age of your hens?  could they be old age pensioners? 
Heather

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:53:12 am »
Mine get layers pellets in the morning and then some mixed corn mid afternoon, they don't generally eat very many layers pellets though. We seem to get plenty of eggs, although quite a few of mine are broody at the moment so aren't laying.
Same here, plus moulting. Mine seems to quite like the duck pellets :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 09:35:26 am »
I was told (Katie Thear's book, I think) that wheat and corn should not be fed in the morning as it fills them up and makes them not look about for other things to eat - which they do need as these are not complete feeds.  Also that wheat before bed is a good plan, as it is a very hard grain and helps them keep the crop working overnight.

Over the years I have found that (a) if hens think they can get you to give them corn, they won't eat their layers pellets, and (b) whatever I think about additives etc., I've never found an organic layers pellet the hens like!  They'll usually eat a bit of the Allan & Page Smallholder Free Range Layers Pellet, but always seem to prefer the cheapo, usually not GM-free, sometimes even has egg yolk colourant (which hens with access to grass do not need!) offering from the local agri store.  Oh, and (c), if they are penned with only layers pellets ad lib they may eat too much and start laying humungous, often double-yolked eggs.  And yes, the duck version is usually popular - although when I had Muscovies, they seemed to prefer the hens' ones!  ::)

So, like most others, my regime is a helping of pellets in the morning - I try to give just about exactly what they'll eat, even if I don't think it's enough, then each hen is keen to get her share - and a small handful each of corn or wheat in the evening. 

And finally, if you can't find layers pellets they like, try cattle cake - ours absolutely love it!  ::)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 10:20:02 am »

This may sound like a daft question, but what do you all feed your free range hens?   Ours currently have the run of five acres, and are just fed a scoop of wheat in the morning, and again at night (we took on the existing flock when we moved into the house, and just kept everything the same, since this is what had been done for years). However, the number of eggs we get is pretty disappointing (only two or three a day, from ten hens of laying age), and I'm trying to work out why.

I tried giving them layers pellets ad-lib, to see if that improved things, but to be honest they weren't that interested.

So what do the rest of you do, and do you have any good ideas as to what should I try next?

Just a few ideas

1 - How old are they, if they are getting on a bit they will lay less and less eggs generally

2 - If they are "laying away" can the crows magpies rats squirrels etc get to any of the eggs

3 - If they have found a good unfindable nest then yes - they will lay 600 eggs there, though normally breaking at least 6 of them every time they lay one, and teaching them to egg eats in the process

4 - Have they got mites - pick one up, blow the feathers apart and see if you can see anything running about.  Alternatively carry one round under your arm for about 5 mins.  Any itching, skin crawling later on and they are infected with something  Also check round there bums for signs of lice eggs

5 - Are they going into moult, we are coming up to that time of year.  More feathers than normal round the place is a giveaway

6 - Any chance they have a worm burden.  If they were there when you went there might have been hens kept in the same pen for many years

7 - Do you have an egg eater.  In the morning before you let them out try putting an unbroken egg on the floor and see the reaction.  If one or more go over and start to peck at it suspect the worst.

8 - Wheat alone will not have the protein they need to produce the quantity of eggs we have come to expect.  Though it is a lot cheaper, so perhaps cost per egg is something to take into account.  Also hens are hatched with fully developed ovaries, so that hen will only lay that number of eggs however long it lives.  If you are against pellets try adding higher protein grains such as peas or soya, or sprout your wheat.

You have probably considered most of these potential problems already, but there might be others reading this thread with a similar question, so I hope you don't mind me putting them in.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »

Thanks for all the replies, and Sue, yes I've been through most of those scenarios already, but not all, so your post is very helpful. I did find a hidden nest this morning. Only three eggs in it, but it's a start!

One thing I'm not clear about though: I know wheat is not a complete food on its own, but should they be able to get the other nutrients they need through free ranging and foraging at this time of year, or is some sort of suppliment always required?

I'm going to try feeding pellets in the morning, and grain at night, just to see what happens. They'll probably all hate me - it must be the equivalent of taking away a kid's coco pops, and replacing them with all-bran!  ;D

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 01:55:50 pm »
I think that is a good idea.  :) 

You could get one of those spring feeders and fix it in the bottom of a big tub so they have ad lib access to layers pellets, then just give them a few handfuls of wheat in the evenings.  But don't forget it is that time of year when eggs will naturally tail off a bit.  :(

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »
Ours have mash in the morning and a few handfuls of grain to get them in at night. That's it apart from grass, small rodents and creepy crawlies and whatever's around such as plums, bolted lettuce etc. They would love to have just grain, I'm sure but we need the eggs!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS