Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb vaccination advice  (Read 3821 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
lamb vaccination advice
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »
hi there just been given a couple of lambs which are 4 months old they have been wormed but never been vaccinated is it still ok to vaccinate they are both entire so i will need to market them in a couple of months so they dont upset the rest of my lambs cheers

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: lamb vaccination advice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:32:18 pm »
I would vaccinate them with HeptavacP plus - two jabs a month apart. It gives them the best chance against all the nasties!

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »
thanks for that do you know if there is a time limit between vaccinating and going to slaughter

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:41:44 pm »
There's no withdrawal period so you don't have to wait before slaughter.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:52 pm »
thank you for your advice 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 12:33:01 pm »
Smallest bottle of Heptavac is £20 or so and has 25 doses in it. You are supposed to discard any remaining vaccine so you'd need two bottles, if you follow the instructions to the letter (personally, I'd keep it sterile ie put one sterile needle in to draw off, then keep the bottle in the fridge for the second dose) or I'd see if there was anyone local who could give you a couple of doses. Or you might just want to risk it, for a couple of months.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 09:01:54 pm »
If your other lambs have been vaccinated I would not do these two, especially if they are to be off in two months. It's just too expensive. But I would love someone "giving" me a couple of healthy lambs that I can send off to market for fat-lamb prices..... how lucky are you (if they are fit and healthy!)

I know that people keep bottles of Lambivac for a while in the fridge by using a sterile needle and keeping it sealed in betwen uses, but I think the pasteurella (??? or one of the others?) stuff in Heptavac does not last, and therefore you are meant to use it only once.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:39:47 pm »
yes the lambs are healthy two texel xs they were reared as pet lambs then they lost there grazing i offered to pay for them but they insisted that thet were free lucky me lol

PDO_Lamb

• Joined May 2011
    • Briggs' Shetland Lamb
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:28:29 am »
You only need OvivacP for lambs although HepavacP will do fine.  The dose is 2 x 2ml 4-6 wks apart. I suggest you ask a neighbour with a big flock if you can draw off two syringes of 4ml from their flask, then Jag the two lambs with one lot and label the second syringe and keep it in the fridge to administer in a few weeks.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 08:08:29 pm »
thanks for the help

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS