Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dead caddy  (Read 2968 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
dead caddy
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:10:46 am »
our pet sheep charlie was found dead this morning. can anyone suggest a cause no injuries not been sick and he still came running last night for his milk. the other sheep look fine. the daughterwho looks after him was very upset.

Victorian Farmer

Re: dead caddy
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:08:37 am »
not good its bad luck Paul .i had a ram done the same thing shame for the young one its farming as they say.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:35:52 am »
Sorry to here it - its always horrible to find something thats died :(

Could be any number of things I suppose - its always a downer when you cant actually see anything wrong and they just keel over.

Big hugs to your daughter.

Baz

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »
How old is he? I've been told that a prime suspect in apparently thriving lambs, that are bouncing round happily then keel over, is the kidneys - pulpy kidney?? But this is for young lambs, maybe 4-8 weeks old.

Otherwise, sheer bad luck on the shepherd's part :(

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:56 pm »
born the end of april so roughly 10 weeks.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »
Bloat?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:00:11 pm »
So sorry to hear that, Paul.  It happens to us all and it's always distressing; you always wonder, "Did I miss something?" 

It was a caddy lamb - had it had any vaccinations?  (Heptavac, Covexin, or similar.)  If it had then it's probably just one of those things, would have happened to anyone.  We get an occasional (one or two a year from our 270-300 ewes) strapping lambs keel over and die suddenly; BH usually says it will have been heart attack.

I hope your daughter will not be put off keeping livestock; it's horrible to lose an animal you've cared for however old you are.  Best to 'get back on the horse', if possible. 

Best wishes to you and your daughter
Sally x
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 08:07:57 pm »
You could always get a post mortem if you're worried.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:23:47 am »
hi sally no he did not have any. so it could have been one of those bugs. however it looked like he was walking up a slight slope and died. i think it was an extremly quick death so it could well have been his heart.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS