Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: freezing peas  (Read 3176 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
freezing peas
« on: July 30, 2011, 07:14:24 pm »
This is the first year I've had more peas than I can eat in a day ;D

I have a bowl of shelled peas in the fridge and more still growing, thought I'd freeze some but wondered if they'd
a. need blanching first or be ok just chucked in the freezer as they are?  If need to blanch, why, what does it do?
and b. do they lose flavour after freezing in which case would I be better to eat them fresh and not freeze any?
and c. how long can pods be left unharvested if I'm picking as I need them?

Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: freezing peas
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »
Well i never blanch peas or broad beans done it for a few years now,and both taste great.Mine never seem to lose flavour and take very little cooking,i just boil the kettle pour just enough boiling water to cover,bit of salt and sugar bring back to the boil simmer for 3 mins,drain then return to the pan to steam off then plate them up.As for how long can they be left on the plant i pick all that i think are just ready pod asap then put them in the freezer or use on the day.Just to add this is my way and it works for me others may not agree,i also freeze and store my peas in a large tupperware type tub.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: freezing peas
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:08:10 am »
We've never blanched peas either, and it doesn't seem to affect the flavour.

We freeze them in meal-sizes portions, or for 15 minutes on a tray before putting them in a bigger container, otherwise sometimes you can get a big block of them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS