Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Table Birds  (Read 5798 times)

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
Table Birds
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:13:37 pm »
I have a few Black Rock which I keep for eggs and some Orpingtons, I want to start raising some chickens for meat but I'm unsure as to which breed would be best. I have tried to do some research but read a lot of contradictions. According to one source Orpingtons are a good table bird but I also read that they are all feathers and not very meaty. I was looking at Marsh Daisy and Marans because there's some on offer near me but again I have read conflicting info about whether they are good table birds.
  What would be your choice of table bird and why?  :)
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
Re: Table Birds
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:11:30 pm »

My choice is a Ross Cobb hybrid. They get up to the weight of a supermarket rotisserie chicken within 6 weeks.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »
I have been trying to source meat birds for ages and have had no success on the fast growing options, however you may be luckier being more southerly than me.  Try cyril bryson maybe they will ship you day old chicks.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:04:21 pm »
I have some ixworths. Slower growing but real nice plump birds, white skin as well for the roasting tin. Heard that Hubbards can also be good meaty birds but never tried them myself. Some of the commercial hybrids can be available to buy through the post as day olds. Sometimes see them advertised in the scottish farmer.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »
Thanks all for info  :)

My choice is a Ross Cobb hybrid. They get up to the weight of a supermarket rotisserie chicken within 6 weeks.

So assuming I had Cockerel and hens would I be able to breed these or would I have to keep buying day olds?
Buff Orpingtons, French Copper Black Marans, Light Sussex, Black Rock, husband x 1, children x 6, cats x 2

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »
I have Maran cross orpinton and they are good i have a few people who get hatching eggs from me too!!
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

smokingdragon

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Crynant Nr Neath
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:56:09 pm »

Orpington are tasty but lots of feathers and not very meaty but when you have an over abundance of cockerals!!

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:59:17 am »
When crossed with the maran they stay quite stumpy and fill out  plenty of meat !
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

CrunchyKat

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Gower
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »
Thanks for all the advice  ;D, I think we might try some Ixworth, I'd like something we can breed and not too worried about them taking a while to grow, we'll just stagger them so we have a few of different ages. Anyway I've ordered a small Brinsea incubator and heat lamp, can anyone recommend a good supplier of Ixworth eggs that will post them?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 01:49:52 pm »
If you want something fast growing to give a quick turn around as a meat bird, then go for one of the modern meat hybrids, as they will be your best option.

If you are looking for a dual purpose fowl, where the pullets will lay you eggs, and the hens when they have finished laying make a good big "boiling fowl", and all the cockerels you hatch which you don't need for breeding can be reared on for a meat bird, then I personally think that the English Cuckoo Marans, from a good utiltity line takes a lot of beating

A good strain will be productive layers (for a heavy traditional breed) and the beautiful colour of the eggs means they will always sell at a premium.  Even one in a mixed box of eggs will increase sales

The spare boys should dress out at around 5-6+ lbs in 24 to 30 weeks, even fed on a basic ration of plain wheat as long as they have full free range.  (Obviously they need the chick and grower ration till they are big enough to let out safely)

The meat is a real gourmet flavour, and of a fine white texture, and reared this way almost totally fat free.

I find my birds  trouble free and healthy, with no propensity to peck, and even the boys live together happily with nothing more than an occasional squabble until they are ready to "go".  Anyway - they get my vote  ;D

All the best
Sue

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS