Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Driving without due care and attention... my poor poor sheep  (Read 14647 times)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: Driving without due care and attention... my poor poor sheep
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 10:06:27 pm »
So sorry to hear this awful news.......................Stupid people P**S me off.

I get so angry when things like this happen. Just glad it wasn't you...

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sandy

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »
I hate   >:(  people speeding on country lanes or in villages and towns, the motorway is a different matter!!! Cars often pass fast in this little place and I worry one day some child will be crossing or playing on thier bike!!! Speed limits are for a reason!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 10:31:01 pm »
What an awful thing to happen. I am so, so sorry.

Beth

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:10 pm »
Terrible terrible thing to happen, sympathy and hugs from up here.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 12:25:14 am »
So sorry - what a dreadful thing to happen.  Nothing will bring your sheep back, but perhaps this young man will have learnt a valuable lesson when driving on country lanes.

I have to ride and drive our ponies along a single track country lane, and it is used by boy racers, who come round the corners at an alarming speed.  I hate being on the lane, but have no choice.

I have noticed a lot of dairy farms have flashing lights, similar to traffic lights, they can activate when moving their cows.  And one farmer has to cross a main road with his herd, and usually has a couple of men with him,  standing in the road, holding the traffic back on both sides. But, in a way, they are risking their lives, as  some drivers try and dodge round them!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:47 am »
Thank you TASers, your kind messages have touched me.   :bouquet:

Annie, ellisr - your stories put mine into some perspective.  It was - and is - terribly upsetting but at least it wasn't one of us.  I hear where you are coming from Annie; we have put our trust in the NFU to push the police.  I am very angry with the police officer for her lack of diligence.

I cannot believe that the Police did not test him for drink / drugs. My chum had a bump in her car (not her fault) and she was breathalyzed but it was routine in all RTAs. I think I'd be asking a few questions about that.

Yes I thought the same but apparently it's different because there were no humans involved, no damage to a human or a human's vehicle (apart from the driver's own vehicle, of course.)

one farmer has to cross a main road with his herd, and usually has a couple of men with him,  standing in the road, holding the traffic back on both sides. But, in a way, they are risking their lives, as  some drivers try and dodge round them!!

Yes, we find the same when we do have someone holding back the traffic.  BH has had to jump out of the way when one driver wouldn't stop, and I have many many times felt that I was risking verbal abuse or even a punch in the face for daring to think that I could attempt to intervene between a man (it's nearly always a man when the driver won't stop, sorry but it's true) and his vehicle.

Mind, more often we get lovely people who are full of smiles and clicking cameras, and tell us we have made their day.   :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:05:48 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 01:07:23 am »
When a 17 year old boy out for a joy ride in Mothers car, with his mates, hit our car head on on the single track lane, the polce came and breathlised my  husband, before the idiot who had hit us!!  I cannot see the fact that it was sheep he hit and not a human, makes a difference ......it quite easily could have been a human.

We asked for horse riding warning triangles on our lane, as its well used by riders. The reply was that there needed to be a serious accident involving a horse and then signs could go up.  So someone, and/or their horses needs to be killed before actions would be taken?  Surely preventative action needs to be taken before this accident happens!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:09:51 am by Roxy »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 08:37:15 am »
We asked for years for signs on the road where my cousin died and they only put them up a year after her funeral. We had put our own signs up on her land next to the road but we had to remove them via court order a week before the accident as the local council said they were unsightly and had complaints from the villagers. The same villagers have now joined the campaign to have these signs on all the local roads. Strange how people change there mind after lives are lost.
It can change but it takes something awful for people to actually happen before change happens.
I understand your loss but don't give up and fight for the signs before any other precious lives are lost don't be like me and actually loose focus on the things you love, it took me 18 years to get back on a horse and I now have a beautiful ex racehorse and I am brave enough to ride on the roads thanks to a great friend and her ever steady pony 'puzzle'.

The first time you move the sheep again you will be so worried why don't you try warning triangles, flags and brightly coloured cones to warn drivers there is something ahead and to take care.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 08:55:43 am »
When a 17 year old boy out for a joy ride in Mothers car, with his mates, hit our car head on on the single track lane, the polce came and breathlised my  husband, before the idiot who had hit us!!  I cannot see the fact that it was sheep he hit and not a human, makes a difference ......it quite easily could have been a human.

We asked for horse riding warning triangles on our lane, as its well used by riders. The reply was that there needed to be a serious accident involving a horse and then signs could go up.  So someone, and/or their horses needs to be killed before actions would be taken?  Surely preventative action needs to be taken before this accident happens!!

We asked the same thing at our old place and were told that horses regularly going along the road didnt qualify as drivers should expect to meet those (hoho it was used as a rat run when the dual carriageway got busy or was blocked and was a single track bendy lane with high hedges and few exits), only if horses were crossing the road would they consider signs. Mad or what! Crossing the road is ok-ish as you can wait until you are fairly sure it's clear, but its going along where you are left with no option and are there for a lot longer that needs the signs!!

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 09:13:40 am »

Horrific!! I'm so sorry

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 09:33:51 am »
The first time you move the sheep again you will be so worried why don't you try warning triangles, flags and brightly coloured cones to warn drivers there is something ahead and to take care.

Absolutely right, we're both now full of trepidation when we have to move stock on the road, of course.  But we have no choice, the farm spans a B road and a C road with land on all three sides.  For now, we always have the car in front with flashing lights, but as there are effectively three roads sometimes we simply can't be in all the places drivers could be going too fast and not looking! 

A neighbour works on the roads and is organising 'official' temporary road signs ('Warning - Livestock on road ahead') or some such for us - we'll put them out before moving the stock and remove them after the move is completed. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »
How sad!! and anger provoking all at the same time. I'm really sorry, Sally  :(  poor sheep, poor you. Don't get me started on speeding cars (mainly rev-head teens) grrr.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS