Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Driving without due care and attention... my poor poor sheep  (Read 14711 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Sorry I have been absent for a few days, we've been clipping and making hay.  But also we had a tragedy on Sunday and I haven't felt like chatting.

Some of you already know we have to move our stock on country roads and sometimes have some heart-in-mouth moments.  But on Sunday it was far, far worse. 

Local lad going fast over the blind brow completely failed to react to the ewes and lambs coming up the road.  It was carnage. 

Bella, my sweet affectionate Texdale, was killed outright, her no.1 son had to be destroyed the next day.  Two other lambs were pulled out from under the car and had to be destroyed.  The ewe pulled from under the front of the car is so far still with us and seems to be okay now.  A further ewe died from internal bleeding yesterday. 

I won't be able to say much more, I suppose, as our insurance looks like they will claim against the motorist's insurance.  As well as the sheep, there's 14m of stone wall to be rebuilt, three visits by the dead cart and a socking great vet's bill. 

A neighbour who works on road maintenance is organising 'Livestock on road' temporary road signs for me - the police say they are happy for us to use them.  So at least some good will come out of this.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Driving without due care and attention... my poor poor sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:27:33 am »
OMG that is so so awful.so sorry for you

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:31:17 am »
thats heart-breaking   :'(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:47:22 am »
How terrible for you, that's one of the reason I do not drive my ponies on the road.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
Oh Sally, there just aren't the words  :'(
I'm so sorry and hope that your ewe continues to make good progress.
Did they drink/drug test the youth in question ? No reaction at all makes it sound likely he was 'influcenced' by something  >:(
Hopefully he'll have learned a valuable lesson too - country roads are NOT for speeding on.
Karen x

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:11:25 pm »
Devastating, I hope he IS insured, such a horrid experiance, hope the young lad has learnt a valuable lesson!!!

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:21:31 pm »
i cannot stand young lads flying round in their 'hot hatches' and scoobies!! and the like...i got knocked off my bike twice by idiots like this!! im so sorry about your poor sheep..i wouldn't feel like talking either :(...i hate to say it but i doubt the litte s?@t has learnt anything from it if he walked away un hurt!! it'll be somthing to tell mates down the pub >:( ...unfortunatly its rare to find a young person who has any respect for living things including humans these days...unless they have grown up with an animal background etc......

i know this is not true of all youngsters but it is getting worse in my eyes...at least it is round here...
'can't rain all the time!'

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:55 pm »
Sally
So sorry to read about this awful event. :'( It is always dreadul to lose stock you have an especial attachment to and in this so avoidable way. Hope the signage does the trick and makes people more aware and slow down.
Thinking of you, hope your ewe continues to make good progress.
Bestest Mandy  :pig:

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »
That's awful. I really feel for you.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »
What a terrible thing to happen.  I'm so sorry to hear about your poor sheep.  Just hope the new road signs have some effect.   Was the youth in question charged with anything??

Keep your chin up - hope the surviving ewe pulls through OK!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 02:04:04 pm »
Did they drink/drug test the youth in question ? No reaction at all makes it sound likely he was 'influcenced' by something  >:(
Hopefully he'll have learned a valuable lesson too - country roads are NOT for speeding on.

He was asked if he had a mobile phone on him, to which he replied he did not.  No other tests were done and as far as we are aware no charges were brought.  I was very surprised that the police didn't measure the road - but we did, and it was over 60m from where he'd have seen the sheep to where he came to rest.  

I absolutely do think he will have learned a valuable lesson, and I suppose it's as well he learned it on sheep rather than cyclists, or a family out for a Sunday afternoon walk ...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:54 pm »
So, so sorry. What a trauma.

I cannot believe that the Police did not test him for drink / drugs. My chum had a bump in her car (not her fault) and she was breathalyzed but it was routine in all RTAs. I think I'd be asking a few questions about that.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 03:11:50 pm »
I'm so sorry for your losses, how terrible.  I agree with Rosemary and wonder why the boy wasn't questioned a bit further - such a shame that they don't put the appropriate value on the lives of what he killed with his recklessness x

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 03:14:21 pm »
Poor poor you and the sheep.

I was brought up in northumberland and some of the rural roads ended up being a race track for some kids, I lost my cousin in a (horse) road accident due to stupid young drivers going to fast and not caring. The police should have breath tested as it was still deaths and as you say it could have easily been a family out walking.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »
it comes under dereliction of duty  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS