Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Driving without due care and attention... my poor poor sheep  (Read 14725 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Driving without due care and attention... my poor poor sheep
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 03:28:42 pm »
Sorry for your lost sheep and the anguish you have been caused, but that could have been a human life he took - it might have been you!  You MUST ask the Police what they are going to do about it, ask why he wasn't breathalised, and whether he has been charged, and tell them you want to press charges.  You may think he has learned his lesson, but the 20 year old who killed my husband in the same way didn't - killed some animals a couple of weeks later, adn had a number of other convictions both before and after killing Sandy.  He got off witha  small fine, points on his licecne and having to resit his test, but that was 20 years ago.  Gosh, how time flies..............  

There is now a prison sentence for killing a person in this manner, and certainly a large fine for animals I am sure.  Who is paying that section of the Police Force - us!  Sorry if I seem blunt but I feel very strongly about not having had justice all those years ago, not so much for myself, but for my children being deprived of their father at a crucial time in their lives.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 05:09:27 pm »
Oh Sally, I'm so sorry  :-*

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »
Sally - so sorry to hear your story - we have roads like race tracks up here and I just plod along in my wee van holding everyone up!! Not many animals use the roads but one farmers moves his dairy cattle daily across the road and I always think I wouldn't like to be in his shoes. I do hope your other ewe/ewes pull through - keeping my fingers crossed.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 05:54:23 pm »
Absolutely horrific, I've no other way of saying it.

If you feel up to it, I'd certainly push the police on what's happening with this lad. Accidents happen, but to not even *start* to react? That's ringing alarm bells.

:bouquet:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 06:23:29 pm »
I felt sorry and tearful reading that :(

Country roads have a national speed limit - no justification at all for bad drivers - but I would be surprised and devastated if I came down a lane and met anything coming the other way.

In all honesty it might get to a point where their insurance is claiming from yours for a 50/50 deal.

Baz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »
Actually I take that back - I've never had a claim in my whole driving life of 20 years - some people do drive the backroads like looneys - if you cant see over the brow of a hill then you should not come over it doing 60mph.

I'd still be in touch with my insurers though in your case as I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make a claim off you.  Are you in a farming union? They normally have some good cloat when it comes to things like this.

Big heartfelt hugs - horrible experience.

Baz

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 06:48:39 pm »
OMG - I'm so so so sorry, what an absolute horror for you.  {{{hugs}}}
Mx
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:20 pm »
i,m so sorry to read this, best wishes, julie.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:45 pm »
Very sorry to hear the news  :( I'm really surprised the police didn't take more tests
Hope the ewe pulls through
 :bouquet:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:27 pm »
I can only add to whats been said already ... so very sorry about your lovely sheep & lambs, and hope the ewe recovers :(
Little Blue

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 08:41:09 pm »
Sally what can I say?    It's just awful.  Chin up girl xxxxx :bouquet:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »
Oh this is just so sad and awful... I am also very surprised that the police did not breathalise him, I was in an RTA a few years ago (unhurt, but the car was a write-off) and it was not my fault. I was still breathalised, as was the other driver. I was told that this is standard procedure.

If there was damage to a wall as well as the the killed/injured livestock he should still be charged, even if it is (just) points on his licence???

I have noticed that one farmer down the road from us, who sometimes moves his sheep between fields on foot has put up a home-made sign to warn of animals on the road. It is well sited and visible from quite a distance.

Ionahenatlast

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 08:56:35 pm »
I'm so sorry this happened to you and your poor sheep, i would also be pushing the police to take it further, I don't blame you for not feeling like posting but i think you have a lot of friends on here and sometimes it just helps to vent.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:49 pm »
OMG Sally, it must have been terrifying for you, having to deal with your scared & hurt animals must have been awful. I echo what others have said here - I am surprised at the horizontal response of your local police  ::)

In the meantime, I hope your ewe recovers, sending you big hugs  :bouquet:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:03 pm »
My deepest sympathies. It is a terrible thing to happen. Sadly people seem to treat country lanes as racetracks all over the country. Here it is just as much posh ****s in Range Rover Sports old enough to know better but too stupid to care hurtling about as it is young idiots. I have seen so many near misses with horses, pedestrians and agricultural machinery. At least with the latter the car is likely to come off worst. I suspect it is all part of the greater malaise that most people simply do not understand the countryside is a working environment, not a playpark/themepark.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS