Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sasauge making equipement- advice please  (Read 3581 times)

gladgirly

• Joined Aug 2010
sasauge making equipement- advice please
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:44:59 am »
Hi
With my last pigs I kept two on for bacon & ham, what a great idea. Not only was it hugely satisfying making our own but the taste is fantastic. I took some of the bacon joints to the local smokehouse(fortunes of Whitby) so we had a mixture of smoked, streaky & "normal". The hams were brilliant, so succulent. Anyway this has given me the bug and I now want to try sausage making. I have 2xSaddlebacks that'll be ready in amonth or so and I intend to get either half or a quarter of one back as mince. Can any one offer help with which typr of sausage making machine to buy? What casings are best? And any general sausage related advice/tips.
Thanks in advance
Glyn

robert waddell

Re: sasauge making equipement- advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:58:37 pm »
if you get the mince back all you require is a sausage stuffer i think about £120 from weshenfielder (just ask for Tim)they can supply skins as well and all the flavours and mixes        also goggle butcher supplies they supply as well       (daziel in nottingham )            the best one is a horizontal stuffer  don't have air in the sausage real skins can smell  devro ones do not   just watch the quantity you buy   have fun :farmer:

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 06:49:05 pm »
We have a sausage stuffer from Northern tools northerntooluk.comand it works very well. We've probably made over 100lbs of sausages with it in the past few years. We broke the handle shaft at one point (misused) and a spare part was easily available.
We get sausage casings and seasonings from Scobies scobiesdirect.com and have found them to be a good supplier of butchers sundries.
We usually use the "superfry" casings as they are dry, and easy to store, and keep for ages.
Don't be tempted by the mincer attatchment stuffers, they are neither one thing nor the other and are very slow too.
Hope you have fun with you sausages!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

gladgirly

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:08:04 pm »
Thanks for that, bring on the mince !!!!

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 09:55:13 am »
HI there,

We used a good old Kenwood chef to mince the pork and the fat then used the sausage attachment to stuff the sausages. Was quite labour intensive as the fat is quite hard to mince up but worked well.  We get our ingredients and skins from designasausage.com which is a great website!

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 07:37:13 pm »
We also use the sausage attachment on the Kenwood, it works a treat. We use the mince the butcher made of our pigs, or we mince the meat ourselves (the latter especially for salami's).
We make quite small batches - allows us to play around with the flavours  :yum:

Plt102: mincing meat with the Kenwood grinder used to be laborious until I once cut off all the white 'bits' from the meat - then it went through sooooo easily  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS