Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying a bed.  (Read 6820 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Buying a bed.
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:24:32 am »
Our King Size bed is 5 years old and when we bought it felt great. Now that I have sore joints and getting older it has become rather uncomfortable. How do you pick a good bed? Its not as if you get to sleep on them for a night to see if it is the one for you. We had a water bed which I loved until I had back trouble and found getting out of it rather difficult. Back was not caused by the bed but wear and tear on my spine. Has anyone tried the mattress toppers and if so do they make you overheat as I get to warm in our bed which has lambs wool in the mattress. Any advice would be great as OH and I just cannot agree on what we should buy.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Buying a bed.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:31:57 am »
Bed base is irrelevant, I was told to buy the cheapest bed I could and buy the most expensive mattress I could afford. It was very good advice!

We got a few years back a cumfilux super duper orthopaedic quite firm mattress and it has been excellent. Very comfy but very supportive. It was about £400 (just the mattress, double size) but is as good now as when we got it.

Some people do complain that the memory foam makes them too hot, I also dont like the fact they arent breathable and are all manmade. I prefer a trad mattress but a really good one

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:34:30 pm »
People who stay here like our Ikea mattresses, they were not too expensive and are memory foam, we bought a used bed with mattress and that is brilliant, I have a bad back too and hot flushes. When we had our pups, I slept on a cheap camp bed and had the best sleep ever....horses for courses I suppose.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:09:05 pm »
A few bales of straw with a duvet on top  ;D :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:09:13 pm »
I swear by memory foam (new from ebay) mattresses. 2 inches or more memory foam. After years of pain I mainly wake up without. Trouble is that they can get very hot in the  summer and if you tend to sweat a lot (like my OH) you might get a mould issue, not so good, so they don't last forever and need to be checked over... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:08:54 pm »
I just bought a new bed - it was a package deal - base with two drawers, covered in suede type fabric, headboard to match, and a memory foam mattress - not a topper.  I have had great sleep since I bought it, not hot at all, and extremely comfortable.  No back pain at all, and my arthritic left side ribs don't hurt either.  Not sure that a topper would suffice tbh.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:16:11 pm »
we have a silent night memory foam and its great!  make sure you have a good lie about on it in the shop before you buy, you might feel a little odd but its well worth it.
Mel

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:44:24 pm »
A few bales of straw with a duvet on top  ;D :wave:

How posh...we use sacks  :P

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 08:04:22 pm »
and a memory foam mattress - not a topper.  Not sure that a topper would suffice tbh.

no, toppers are not the same thing - as in providing sleep quality  :D
if you buy an MF mattress, check the thinckness of actual memory foam - most of the matress will be made of ordinary foam, so the actual quality bit can be anything from 1 inch to 3,  - if you can get more, even better. There seem to be no regualtions as to when they can call it Memory Foam Matress.... :&>

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 08:20:34 pm »
I wonder if we should get a new mattress, reading this. I'm always sore in the morning, or if I get up in the night to let cats in / out.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »
i invested in a memory foam mattress a few months back,im just about getting used to it, with hindsight i would have bought a good quality sprung one, just cos i like the springyness, that a foam one doesnt give you.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 09:37:35 pm »
I've got arthritis (in my neck, hip & knee) & fybromyalgia.  I've found that I'm better (slightly!) with a medium orthopedic mattress (for my arthitis) with a thick mattress topper.  I don't find the topper makes any difference to how warm I am, but it certainly helps lessen the pressure on my joints.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 10:10:13 am »
I swear by the memory foam too. We have a 10 inch box (that's the depth) 6 inches of foam and 4 of memory foam on-top, not as a topper but all built-in one mattress. It also came in a choice of base foams ie soft, medium & firm. But the memory foam top part of the mattress only came in one firmness. It's 'zoned' with a layer of firmer foam on the base of the mattress in the middle of it where it supports your butt & back. We found it a bit too firm on a solid bedbase so changed from flat slats to sprung slats on the bed. The slats in the middle have weakened over the years but this is easily dealt with my just changing them with the slats from the foot & head of the bed.

Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Slavo

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »
People who stay here like our Ikea mattresses, they were not too expensive and are memory foam, we bought a used bed with mattress and that is brilliant, I have a bad back too and hot flushes. When we had our pups, I slept on a cheap camp bed and had the best sleep ever....horses for courses I suppose.

My girlfriend has curvature of the spine following an impact from falling debris from a tall roof as a child. Once we were together a little while, it became time to replace my bed & mattress which had no support, dodgy springs and several improvised mattress toppers with a new one. We bought ours from Ikea too. It wasn't the most expensive or cheapest but the most comfortable for her; I can sleep on anything.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 05:14:34 pm »
I over heat all the time so I think memory foam may not be for me. I suspect that it will be just get out there and try  a few. I would love a good nights sleep  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS