Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sea eagles cruising  (Read 3168 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
sea eagles cruising
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:47 pm »
oh no, 3 of them this time. Can't babysit my birdies all the time  :(
i know they are stunning creatures, but I hope they go away, far away ... :&>

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: sea eagles cruising
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08:09 pm »
oh i hope they fly straight over, a pic would be lovely  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:04:10 pm »
well, one of them has an eye on the place, hovering over the next hill, flew over here once, too fast for me to catch a pic! Impressive through binoculars - and yes, he's still here and I'm still babysitting...Still hoping they go back to where they came from! :&>

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:57:53 pm »
How wonderful to see them, but yes, passing through would be best  :o
The sparrow hawks and buzzards stress me out here at little-chick time  :P

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 07:10:15 pm »
never had a problem with the buzzards but sparrowhaws took some ducklings in our first year..
one of them is still here, 4 hours later.... :&>

MM

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 10:14:44 pm »
For just over a year now we have had 3 turkeys in with our chooks and haven't lost any chicks to sea eagles or goldies yet despite a high presence in the area. Maybe we've just been lucky though....... Or maybe they are just scared off by all the eaglewatchers lurking nearby in the bracken ::) and shouting excitably to each other!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 10:36:00 pm »
someone in Fife let their hens out one morning and found on in there  :o  it made the papers
I hope they find enough wildlife around here but they make me feel uneasy - I do have to go out every now and then! It's tempting though just to sit there with the binoculars :&>

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:36:22 am »
The north Fife sea eagle colony was established several years ago and seems to be doing well.  I occasionally see something high up and can't make out if it's one of them or a buzzard cos my eyesight at distance vertically is rubbish ;) but they are so local to us NFD..

I wonder if I should drape some black veg netting strips over the chicken run ???  I hadn't thought of air predation, only cats, foxes etc :(
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:17:55 am »
if your run is small enough it's worth a go, but here it's impssible...
get the binoculars out, Ellie - honestly you can't mistake them for buzzards! Buzzards circle, eagles hover. I know some were released near Muchty in the spring, no distance for them at all. Peter photographed one on the Newburgh/Muchty road last year :wave: :&>

http://north-fife.blogspot.com/2010/08/fish-eagles-north-fife.html

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:32:35 am »
whereabouts are you NFD? I'm desperate to see one! But NIMBY of course. Hope your flock are safe. I once had a buzzard swoop down at a hen, I was in the garden in a bright yellow jacket fixing fencing and heard the hen squawk, turned & saw buzzard inches from it but it veered away when it saw me. 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 09:52:32 am »
North Fife ;) they are all over the place around here,  one once nearly hit my car on the way to Dundee on the A 92, it swerved faster than I could hit the break, thank heavens... :&>

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:51:19 am »
Interestingly I was out with the newly arrived chooks yesterday putting up used balewrap as strips and creating a white camouflage netting which has totally ruined my view of the ponies in the foaling field but hopefully will dissuade anything airborne from trying to drop in uninvited :)  Aswell as good recycling practice I feel marginally better about the overhanging tree too, tho youngest cat still managed to get in and was engaging in a staring contest with chief chook Dixie til I dashed out screeching  ::)

There were lots of birds of prey overhead yesterday, at one point one buzzard had caught something and was carting it home while 2-3 others tried to get it from him/her - maybe a fledged family unwilling to wait for delivery?  Very low for them around here, hence my panic with the chooks in case my place was being added to potential hunt zones ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS