Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making yogurt  (Read 17079 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Making yogurt
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 09:30:53 am »
Ideally boil the milk and then cool before adding the starter but you can get away with heating it to 86deg c.

VSS, what is the purpose of boiling / heating to 86C if the milk is pasteurised? Is this important to the yogurt making process or only required with raw milk to pasteurise?

Anyway, made yogurt - 1 litre of whole milk from the Co-op, 4 tablespoons Yeo Valley yogurt, milk heated to 43C and all put in the yogurt maker for 12 hours. It was like, well, milk. I put orange juice in mine and drank it.

Tried again, this time substituting some of the milk with a big can of Carnation (not really in the spirit of self sufficiency, I know) - it's fabulous. I'd call it a dessert yogurt - although we did have it for breakfast this morning over fresh raspberries and blueberries.

The Carnation option isn't really a go-er on a daily basis, so why was my yogurt so thin and what can I do? Add cream? Our Shetland milk should be creamier that shop bought whole milk.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 11:54:47 pm »
I wonder whether the homogenisation has an effect?  Perhaps somehow stops the coagulation / setting?

Can you get unhomogenised (cream rises to the top) milk?  Good deli's and supermarkets around here sell Gold Top, it's Channel Islands milk and although it is pasteurised it is not homogenised.  There's also an organic milk, Acorn, we can get which is not homogenised.  I think Acorn is from Yorkshire but maybe there's a Scottish equivalent you can get hold of to try.

Has anyone tried adding rennet to yoghurt? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 08:34:09 am »
If you're using shop milk you don't have to pasteurise it's already done. We never had any bother using co-op organic whole milk for yogurt when the goats were dry. Added 2 tbsp of yeo valley to a litre at 43 degrees C and popped in a thermos flask overnight.
Did you use organic? Maybe there are traces of something in the non organic milk.
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 08:44:20 am »
Can't get organic whole milk here. Now I didn't heat the starter, just poured the milk over it. Next time, I'll warm the starter and the milk. Thanks all.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 09:43:25 am »
Now I didn't heat the starter, just poured the milk over it. Next time, I'll warm the starter and the milk. Thanks all.

The recommended practice is to first mix the starter and some of the warmed milk, then mix that back into the body of the milk.  I get my starter out and let it warm up to room temperature while I'm heating up the milk.  A friend always did the 'pre-mix' in a jam jar, giving it a jolly good shake, then stirring it into the pan of warm milk.

Mind you, my yoghurt nearly always takes more than 24 hours to set, no matter what starter I use (Yeo Valley, Ascott, or my own home-grown one), how I incubate it (airing cupboard, slow pot, thermos flask, insulated box with hot water bottles) or whether I use skimmed or full milk, or pasteurise or not.  It's worth the wait, though!   :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »
my first attempt making it with goat's milk failed...
I don't use a yogurt maker, just keep all the temperatures observed for 8 hours. This normally works fine with cow's milk but this time it seperated. strained it made nice cream cheese  ;D Might have to invest in another appliance. Do you all use electric ones?  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 02:48:16 pm »
Must be something in the air  ::)- mine was separated this morning too.  I'm sure everything was sterile before I started - scalded the wee glass jars and washed out the plastic container with dettox.  I'm off out to buy more milk, bio yoghurt, and carnation to try it again.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 02:49:33 pm »
I've also had hit and miss attempts with goats yogurt, sometimes its lovely and thick other times its watery, all the times keeping to the same technique, just a quick question, what time of milk powder would you use when using goats milk, do you have to use evaporated goats milk powder or will any type do?

Brid

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »
I didn't add anything else - milk and yogurt only. will be more experimental now  ;D :&>

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »
Hi Brid

I usually put a small tin of carnation evaporated milk in a litre of goats milk for yogurt. You can use powdered cows milk too. Powdered goats milk is available but it's a ridiculous price!
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »
Hi Crofter,

thanks for that, go raibh maith agat, tapadh leat  :goat:

Ill try that out tomorrow

Brid

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 09:52:15 pm »
My curdled yoghurt just turned into a really nice mild cream cheese!  Strained it all evening while I was at dog training. Had some on toast with a lovely cup of tea.  Feeding my cold.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS