Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When can male kids actually be fertile?  (Read 3129 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
When can male kids actually be fertile?
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
I have just reunited the yearling girls with the mums and kids.  But today one of the yearlings was play fighting with one of the male kids (born end March this yr), tail wagging and the male kid was definitely ready for action!

Males will go off in a couple of months - do I need to wean and separate them?  there are only 3 so there will be a lot of crying if i take them away!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: When can male kids actually be fertile?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »
It CAN be as early as 3 months old. Depends on the breed a little bit, but in theory yes he could have been capable. The female kids are unlikely to hold even a boy caught her as they need to be a certain bodyweight to carry the pregnancy- the one's to worry about are the mums and last year's kids. It might be worth removing them....

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:49:15 pm »
I would take the boys out - definitely! If they can still see each other? Or be in separate pens with high enough sides, and then go out at separate times if you do not have two paddocks? I know people manage their herds by having the boys out at night and girls out during the day, it seems to work.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:18 pm »
Yes we have our girls out during the day, they come in at about 6:30pm and the boys go out all night.

Beth

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:39 pm »
I would take the boys out - definitely! If they can still see each other? Or be in separate pens with high enough sides, and then go out at separate times if you do not have two paddocks? I know people manage their herds by having the boys out at night and girls out during the day, it seems to work.
Yep works for me,nothing nicer than seeing a bunch of males being let out in the evening...beats cattle being let out to their summer grazing and you get the bonus of it being a daily happening! ;D

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »
am thinking more likely to send them off for the freezer - they are 14 wks and a good size!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:29 pm »
If they are entire I would send them off BEFORE autumn sets in - they will get smelly once the females come back into season...not sure of the meat will be tainted too, it seems to be with tups.

Maybe easier next time (if you are eating them anyway) to ring them after birth, so give you more time to fatten them.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »
I'll definitely consider ringing with next years boys - thanks for the advice everyone, goat curry soon then!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS