Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: only getting milk out one side...  (Read 2015 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
only getting milk out one side...
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:27:56 pm »
just as it says really...

we can only get milk out one side for the last 3 days - is this normal?  apparently she was milking both side but def not with us :(

and of course her udder is lopsided but i dont know it that is 'normal' (for her) or not.

not showing signs of heat or hard and doesnt seem uncomfortable with it.

thanks in advance as ever  :-*

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: only getting milk out one side...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:05 pm »
does she have her own kid with her?

she'll likely be "saving" one side for the kid, as (ours certainly) favour one side.

be gentle, butt it like a kid, distract her, keep trying... she might let it down from that side, but it can be difficult...

how are you getting on otherwise?
:)
Little Blue

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:02:26 pm »
thank little blue, definately making huge progress - milking was much easier tonight as was the catching process....so onwards and upwards I'm pleased to say.

we only got a litre of milk, but still pleased with that.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:14 pm »
catching?!  Now I've got an image in my head of someone running after a deranged goat, with a net and a milking bucket!!
Little Blue

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:13:43 pm »
catching?!  Now I've got an image in my head of someone running after a deranged goat, with a net and a milking bucket!!

lol, thats funny...maybe catching wasnt the best choice of word.......lol...kind of herded them into an area where we could hold their collars......each day is easier..i dont think they'd been handled much before we got them...

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:57:49 pm »
Bear in mind that goats, like most animals, love routine. Ours insist on same time, same place, same order of milking etc.  I changed a couple of the boards on the milking stand the other day as they were getting rotten. The girls refused to climb up as usual and had to be coaxed, then spent most of the time during milking peering round at the new wood...oh and I can't milk them if the cat's in the byre either!
Honestly though, try to do the same things each day in the same order and you'll be surprised how quickly she'll settle.
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS