Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tomatoes  (Read 6383 times)

levi_allen

• Joined Jul 2011
tomatoes
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:26:11 pm »
tomatoes get the yellow flowers on them do you leave them on the plant or pick them off of the plant ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
 :bouquet:
 :wave:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:30:18 pm »
You leave them on. The fruit will develop from them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:30 pm »
levi-allen - I think you need a veggie book to learn the basics, or get a magazine such as The Kitchen Garden.  The only flowers which I can think of that you would pick off are male cucumber flowers and maybe surplus pumpkin flowers if you are trying to grow a whopper  :squash:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

levi_allen

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:41:07 pm »
well Im sorry my garden knowledge is as good as your commments

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »
well Im sorry my garden knowledge is as good as your commments
I assume that is meant to be rude.  In fact I was trying to be helpful, not casting aspersions on your knowledge.  There are plenty of inexpensive little books out there which will help you to learn the basic things you need to know.  Everyone on here will do their best to answer your specific questions but it will be easier for you to have a general idea of how to go about things first.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

levi_allen

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:27:45 pm »
weren't trying to be rude! ~ I thought the point of the website is too ask things you are unaware about ?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:42:52 am »
I agree with Fleecewife - a basic book as a godsend.

I would thoroughly recommend the Dr Hessayon "Expert" series - Fruit and Vegetable Expert. The explainations are realy straightforward with lots of good drawings - especialy good and simple of plant diseases etc.

Best of luck levi-allen
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:28:32 pm »
weren't trying to be rude! ~ I thought the point of the website is too ask things you are unaware about ?

you can buy all the gardening books in the world, its not likely to answer this type of question, keep asking you will get loads of advise on forums, i dont think fleecewife's answer was meant to be anything but helpful but i can see how it could be taken the wrong way.
kn

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:29:38 pm »

you can buy all the gardening books in the world, its not likely to answer this type of question, keep asking you will get loads of advise on forums, i dont think fleecewife's answer was meant to be anything but helpful but i can see how it could be taken the wrong way.
kn

I've never known fleecewife to be anything but helpful and is possibly the most knowledgeable on here concerning veg.

She's nice too so a chill pill may be needed  ...  :) :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 06:57:03 pm »
Fleecewife is The Oracle on all things horticultural, and more! (We're all ignoramuses about certain things, hey ho. This site is fab for sharing problems and getting info.)
I'm singing and dancing in the rain as I have just found two tiny tomatoes - finally! I've been giving them the odd dose of Tomorite, but my brother in law said you're not supposed to feed them until the tomatoes have started to form or it just makes the plants grow too much. As I'm too lazy to go and check the instructions can anyone tell me which is right? The plants seem to be thriving. I'm crap at growing tomatoes, hoping that this year will be different!
I also learned the basics with Dr H's books, they're great. Good luck with your tomatoes, Levi_Allen.  :)

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:19:19 pm »
tomatoes get the yellow flowers on them do you leave them on the plant or pick them off of the plant ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Some years ago I picked the flowers off my tomato plants as I thought they were going to seed and I wanted to save them   ;D

If I had have asked  'how to grow coriander' a few weeks ago..... I'd not have 20 pots with a single stalk in each pot.

The packet didn't say NOT to plant them individually.  ;)

I am a plank.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:31:36 pm »
Rubbish, you're not a plank at all. Live and learn. Planting seeds individually may not be efficient to begin with, but will probably work out for the best in the long run, won't it? I got lazy with my carrots and flung handfulls into pots. Now they're growing really badly, all squashed together and wonky. I almost wish I'd done one per pot! Painstakingly separating them and repotting them is driving me mad!

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 08:05:03 pm »
As I'm too lazy to go and check the instructions can anyone tell me which is right?

I usually start feeding every two weeks once the first truss has formed. :)
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

levi_allen

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:43:04 am »
Thanks for all your help,

but seriously i wasn't trying to be rude.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS