Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Runner Beans in a Greenhouse?  (Read 15832 times)

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
Runner Beans in a Greenhouse?
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:10:24 pm »
I planed a few Runner Beans in the Greenhouse and they grew rapidly.  The only problem was that they have hardly produced any runner beans.  I would welcom any comments as to why.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Runner Beans in a Greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:31 pm »
Curious to know why you planted them in a greenhouse?  I think it is too hot in a greenhouse (even at night) for runners to set "fruit".  They are used to hardier climes.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:54:08 pm »
they dont like it hot.
french beanswould have loved it tho.

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
Many years ago I read a book by Upton Sinclare and he told a story about a railway shunter with a foot missing.  When he was asked how he lost it replied.  “A wagon appeared to be rolling past a set of points where it should have stopped so I stuck my foot under the wheel to stop and it cut it off”.  “Why did you do that?” he was asked and he replied, “Well, it seemed a good idea at the time”. 
The good idea at the time concept was the only basis behind my trying to grow the Runner Beans in the Green House.  I had never grown vegetables before and I knew that I was taking a chance when I put the Runner Bean seeds in the green house very early.  When they were about a foot tall I planted them outside where they are now begining to show a few runner beans but I kept a few to grow in the green house.  Needless to say, I now know that it doesn’t work.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »
they are insect polllinated, usually by bees ... how many bumbley-bees have you seen in your greenhouse?!
that & the heat & dryness will account for the lack of beans.

live & learn as they say (or pollinate with a paintbrush!)
Little Blue

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:23:05 pm »
I TAKE YOUR POINT BUT WHAT ABOUT TOMATOES?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:03:48 pm »
vibration pollination :D

even shaking the tom vine can encourage pollen transfer, whereas bean flowers are shaped differently, needing mrs bee.

I know when I pass & water the toms, they get a little shaken.

And tomatoes tend to get more water, feed & like warmer temperatures....
Little Blue

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »
they are insect polllinated, usually by bees ... how many bumbley-bees have you seen in your greenhouse?!
that & the heat & dryness will account for the lack of beans.

live & learn as they say (or pollinate with a paintbrush!)

You can set runner beans with a very fine rose  spray on a hose pipe I'vre done it many times when the late bean flowers really took off and the temps dropped to 50 oF.( bees stop flying in any numbers ) .
Old Mr Digwell  gave me that one years ago ,  so it's back to growing in the green house unless you have trashed them .  If you have auto roof vents like I have insects geting in are no problem but for a precaution I have a rabbits tail on a bit of cane to pollinate  the tomatoes , capsicums, strawberries and aubergines etc. just incase there are a few  areas missed .
 I charged it with pollen from two big bunches of supermarket flowers I purchased for my lass and also gave every weed flower  in the front garden a wee wipe with it before I zapped them with a hefty dose of round up.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:08:39 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:39 am »
I've got french beans romping and fruiting away in the polytunnels this year, so no reason why not, pollination must be the key, we handily have a bumble bee nest in the poly!
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:06 am »
we have runner beans in our polytunnel simply because it's too blooming windy and cold up here to grow them outside. I also have a problem with non setting flowers but I am off to flick a kiddies paintbrush around with gay abandon while wearing a black and yellow jumper and saying, ' Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'  ;D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:03 am »
photo? ;D

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:44:07 am »
ROFL....maybe  ;)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 05:24:32 pm »
u damn tease ::)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 11:52:17 am »
[quote author=Plantoid.   
 I have a rabbits tail on a bit of cane to pollinate  the tomatoes , capsicums, strawberries and aubergines etc. just incase there are a few  areas missed .
 I charged it with pollen from two big bunches of supermarket flowers I purchased for my lass and also gave every weed flower  in the front garden a wee wipe with it before I zapped them with a hefty dose of round up.
[/quote]

No need to wipe it over flowers of other species as pollen is very specific - tomatoes to tomatoes, squashes to squashes etc
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS