Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of POLs - got some!  (Read 24355 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Price of POLs - photos added
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 07:06:14 pm »
Wow Ellie, your chucks are so going to love it - it'll be a great view from your "office" however will you get any work done?  ;)

Annie - I totally agree with you.  We got a similar house online - was advertised for 12 - think they meant quails!  ::) Personally i'd never keep more than 6 in it, even if they were free-ranging all day.  I use mine for the young ones, after they've come off the heat (with a home-built run) until they're big enough to contend with the main flock. Good luck with the dog show - sounds like they're getting their "monies worth" out of you this weekend  :hshoe:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 10:22:52 pm »
Just a note - with the extremes of weather we have suffered, it may be beneficial to weigh it down, or anchor it to the floor. i have the one down from you as a  broody hut and it go blown over and away across the garden destroying the eggs being sat on and injuring the hen

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 10:52:58 pm »
Well we worked away today and I reckon we're done :). Didn't go for panels in the end just a 2 layer/storey permanent fence and a gate on.

Might be ready by Sunday or early next week - would I be best to wait for the batts before bringing pullets in or would a week or two between arrivals not matter?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 11:38:50 pm »
You might be better to have the ex batts first for a couple of weeks to let them recover from their trauma and maybe grow a few feathers.  However, I know how keen you are to get started and I haven't heard from Jim yet.  I usually keep ny ex batts separate from the others for a while anyway.  A sort of quarantine.  Anyoen else got ideas on this?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 08:23:14 am »
Well here we are, the door, the netting, a complete but empty chicken run :)  One bit of the netting had to be rolled under the overhanging weeping cherry so it looks a bit strange but I couldn't think what else to do, cutting it and nailing it to the tree didn't seem an answer..  I guess if a cat or fox gets in that will be how, but it's as good as I could do it for a first time and no doubt there will be a v.2 one day ;)

Ellie Douglas Therapist

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:05 am »
Looks brilliant, look forward to seeing it when we get chooks for you!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 12:29:22 am »
I paid £15 each for our POL lavender Aruacanas, and £5 each for Ex-bats from BHWT they have never missed a day (except when moulting) and watching the bats go from oven ready  ;D to lovely feathered birds was a real treat
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:07 am »
I paid £15 each for our POL lavender Aruacanas, and £5 each for Ex-bats from BHWT they have never missed a day (except when moulting) and watching the bats go from oven ready  ;D to lovely feathered birds was a real treat
That's why I get tehm too - gives them some life they have never had, and freedom from being in a one foor square mesh cage.  even if they only liev a few weeks its worth it, and mine usually last a lot longer than that!  I have a warren that rarely lays but my exbatts lay every day except when dark mornings and nights come along as I don't believe in forcing them to lay by providing artificial light.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 05:19:33 pm »
looks great ellie - well done

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2011, 11:39:50 pm »
Hi Ellied, have you decded what you are getting yet? and are you wanting eggs right away? I  have some  week old bantam chicks, cross between a gold laced and a chocolate partridge wyandottes.  6 boys & 4 girls (was 5 this morning but took my mum out for lunch as he birthday & came back to be greeted by my neighbour with a dead one - her dog had killed it as they'd got in her garden!)I was planning on keeping one or two of the girls. If you wanted a boy & girl, or trio I would let you have them at a nominal price  ;) because I'd like to get the boys homes. I would put a photo on but don't know how to! but could e mail you a pic.  And they won't take up so much room in your coop! And if anyone else is interested let me know

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:01 am »
I had decided on 2-3 ex batts and the same POLs from the local guy I mentioned at the start.. was waiting to get the house and run sorted, but then we missed the ex batt pickup last week so am swithering about just getting the POLs now to get going and introduce batts later if I can..

I'm not planning on having a boy around, with new neighbours imminent and no experience of chooks I think a few girls to get used to would be easier, tho your guys sound lovely and I'm grateful for the offer:)

Not sure if the original guy has any left mind, need to text him and find out - if not then start thinking again ::)
Ellie Douglas Therapist

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2011, 09:24:52 am »
I thought you were sorted but just thought I'd mention them. Enjoy when you get them, I could watch mine all day :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Price of POLs
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:25 am »
ellie, you could also contact Pillars of Falkland, that is where we got our first hens from a few years ago and they didnt cost much at all as they were their old ones that didnt lay everyday - but laid often enough to satisy our family needs.

I think Bruce is currently charging £ 2 for his birds. Just let him know your interest and he'll tell you when he has any "spare". But didn't you have some trouble with Pillars birds, Laura? 

Your set-up looks great, Ellie, well done!

btw You could also ask Sue the cat lady if she has any young ones spare, sure she's give them to you at a good price  ;D  :&>

HappyHippy

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 02:27:17 pm »
I really don't want to be negative (and maybe I'm completely wrong) but I was told that an overhanging tree into your chicken area provides a handy route in for Mr Fox  :-\
I would love it if someone tells me that's not the case - cause I'm just about to move my chickens and it will save me from having to take a limb off one of my ash trees - although I might still do it, cos there'd be plenty of winter wood from it  ;)
Hope you get your chooks in soon Ellie - be warned though, you definately won't get any work done, chickens are great to watch  ;D
Karen x

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »
I have a tree overhanging into mine so would be interested to know as well, I haven't had any problems so far - even my cats haven't tried that piece of circus trapezery - YET x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS