Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jersey Giants have arrived  (Read 2646 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Jersey Giants have arrived
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:34:15 pm »
I am so excited.  I finally got my 3 Jersey Giant chicks this weekend.  One cockerel and 2 females.  He is a bit older than the girls and very protective but extremely friendly.  they love a good cuddle and I love them to bits!  Woop woop  ;D ;D ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Jersey Giants have arrived
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 08:06:24 pm »
just how big will they grow?!

show us a piccy....
:D
Little Blue

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:29:27 pm »
A cockerel can grow to 13 lbs and a hen to about 10 lbs.  I'll try to put pics on tomorrow but haven't done that before so it may be with some effing and jeffing  ;) they one that I think is male is about 6 weeks old and is almost the same size as my Marsh Daisy pullets but not quite.  They take a long time to mature - about 2 years I think but they are gorgeous.  Black with that oily shine of green and blue and purple to their feathers.  I have wanted them for such a long time and I am so excited that they are with us  ;D ;D ;D ;D :chook:

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:29:58 am »
A cockerel can grow to 13 lbs and a hen to about 10 lbs.  I'll try to put pics on tomorrow but haven't done that before so it may be with some effing and jeffing  ;) they one that I think is male is about 6 weeks old and is almost the same size as my Marsh Daisy pullets but not quite.  They take a long time to mature - about 2 years I think but they are gorgeous.  Black with that oily shine of green and blue and purple to their feathers.  I have wanted them for such a long time and I am so excited that they are with us  ;D ;D ;D ;D :chook:
They sound just beautiful ! can't wait to see the pics !!

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:32:24 am »
Hi,
Good luck with the JGs,
what age do they start laying as they take a long time to mature, Just asking as I have a Trio arriving next week and thay are 20 weeks old, cockeral is a month older, have always wanted these and finally persuaded OH to let me have them, well not so much persuaded just went ahead, found and ordered some, mentioned it in passing to OH though. ;D :chook:

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:29:38 am »
I'm not sure tbh but I think they grow to full height by 6 months and fully mature around 2 years.  I think they're like gangly teenagers in between ha ha  I'm not really motivated by their eggs as I have other layers but they are so gorgeous that I really wanted some.  Good luck with yours when you get them.
Melanie

Mel

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 12:56:04 pm »
I would love some JG's,i'm told they are lovely birds,can't wait to see the pics! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS