Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Price of POLs - got some!  (Read 23369 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
Re: Price of POLs
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »
I think she thought she was doing me a favour. I told her to f**k off.

Classic quote. I had the same with piglets.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 11:43:04 pm »
I have to agree. The time spent (in my case incubating them) rearing and feeding them has to be taken into account, and it's not a cheap process.   :farmer:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2011, 11:41:47 am »
Hi, I wasn't trying to insult anyone with my enquiry and would have been mortified being told to f*** off for asking a genuine question or making a genuine offer to a friend's son out of ignorance of market values which I might well have done if I didn't think to check on here first... 

As it was having the benefit of being on here before thinking about hens, I did check previous posts on the market place before posting my question, and all I saw were hatching eggs, chicks and free cockerels so I had no clue where to start and out of zero information I guessed a tenner would be a ballpark figure for a hen..  Then being offered some hybrids for £16 I didn't know if they were dearer because they were bred for high production of eggs compared to "ordinary" hens, or if my whole guess was way out.  So I asked a genuine question!

It seems that with commercial pullets being available from at least 2-3 local sources at £8-9 and hybrids from a friend's son at £16 or £12 for warrens, I am actually not that far out overall and just didn't understand the breeds and range which I now have a better idea of, so I have now got myself a plan to work with if not a completed purchase as yet :)

I'm grateful for the information provided (without insults to my lack of knowledge of poultry preferably ::) ) that has got me this far.  But as a breeder of other animals whose value now is less than when produced and the cost of production to that point let alone where they are now, I have to say I don't expect breeding to be profitable across the sector on a small scale and am well used to potential buyers, in a "buyers' market", offering less than what I think stock are worth let alone what they've cost me to raise ::)  But I prefer to say no politely rather than swear at them personally, whatever disappointment or irritation I might feel..  That is, sadly how it is just now, from dairy farming to horses so I had no concept that chickens had to be profitable to be worth courtesy :(

Anyway, thanks again to those who have kept me right and particularly to doganjo for coming over yesterday to look, advise and offer support to a slightly anxious newbie as far as poultry are concerned :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2011, 04:09:33 pm »
EEEeeeekk, I hope you didn't take offense at my post, I didn't use those exact words and the lady I was talking to was more 'trying it on' than a newbie. TBF, I had no idea what I should be selling my chucks for so I had a look at the various poultry breeders in the SW that advertise in Smallholder magasine, etc. and came up with a price that was fair to me and the purchaser - my girls lay pretty much 6 days out of 7 so I figured it was a good price, but wouldn't make much difference if she didn't like the price as I ask for donations for eggs towards the upkeep, more eggs = more donations...

Bioman

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2011, 04:51:05 pm »
I dont think anyone wanted to insult or was insulted them selves. It is quite a common occurance for live stock breeders of any size or any animal to be confronted with barmy offers so people are just venting their frustration. You have done the right thing to come to this forum which is very friendly and by asking you wont be one of the people who annoy livestock breeders.

I sell my Appenzeller Spitzhaubens for £25- the reason for the price is- my birds are show prize winners for instance my cockerel won best in his class at the National Federation. If my stock werent of such good quality I would sell them for less.

Oh and if anyone wants some I have some for sale and they will also be on sale and also on show at the Honiton show (cheap advert but selling them is tricky)

I pay £12.50 for my hybrids ( I have way to many chickens!)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »
Ellied my comments weren't directed at you personally just general observations. Trouble is once a few people have sold stuff too cheap it undermines the price everyone can achieve. And Joe Public doesn't differentiate between a top quality pure bred bird and a common or garden hybrid. So if someone sells nondescript birds for a low price the masses then think that all birds should be that price despite being totally different stock. Anyway, rant over. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:06 pm »
Hm  ???

Very interesting thread ...

I had a look at the calculator & according to the sums I should be selling my POL Barnis at £24.60 each.  But, as Crofter points out, it doesn't allow for the "free" free-range Sunday dinners  :yum: or the lovely eggs - of which we sell 2-3 dozen a week (which nearly covers the feed costs).

A really lovely man just bought four 6 week-olds from me, for his grand-daughter to look after (with his help) & was happy to pay £20 for them (did I sell them too cheap?) so I haven't got to the stage of POLs yet, so only time will tell if folks will be prepared to pay that amount for them.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 09:55:57 pm »
I had a very enjoyable day with Ellied yesterday, and a lovely mostly home grown lunch - it was yummy, and I stayed well within my points target for the day (thanks, Ellie - even the cream was counted in!  ;)) I met her other animals and agree that the prices she is asking do not reflect the actual value.  The same has happened in my breed of dog - people are breeding them without doing health checks, with no regard to pedigree matching, and without KC registration.  They are then selling them for half what is being asked by the top breeders, possibly because they do not have the contacts, and Joe Bloggs is not being told that their dogs cannot be shown, cannot be trialled, and most probably will produce non standard progeny if bred from, which may not be registerably either. 

We discussed the best place for her chicken run, had a look at the coop she had bought and what it would be able to hold as opposed to the outrageous claims by the manufacturer - they said 12 I think?? I would personally only have 4 or 5 in it as in this weather they would get hot and sweaty overnight, fine in winter maybe.

The BHWT has a collection next week or the week after and I will take a couple of ex batts for Ellie and keep till she is ready for them, as she is qutei busy this week and next. 
I am delighted to have made a new friend!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 10:49:46 am »
no worries guys, I get anxious quite easily but it's not "offence" as such ;)

I am busy building a pen to doganjo's specifications, and will then as she says have a mix of ex-batts and the farm hybrid pullets which will work out overall to the budget I expected and give me the start of a sustainable age range/production capacity all being well..

Annie I have got the boards up on re-used fence posts in a semicircle from the front of the house to nearly parallel to the gate (narrower than the original layout) and have bought a 50m roll of wire and 6 tall skinny 2" x 8' high posts to attach double height mesh to for the remainder.  Will then add a single height of mesh over the top of the 4' boards overlapping the wood so will then hopefully have a complete pen of 6' high with the road view section blocked to 4' high.  There is a gate built from scrap wood and a piece of square mesh donated by the neighbours as they're moving out and can't remember what it was bought for anyway ;), and I've got hinges so just need to put those mesh sections up and find a post strong enough to hang the door off beside the back wall of the house..

Question - it occurred to me that given these 8' high posts it might be practical to cut the mesh and make movable partitions with cross pieces top and bottom, maybe across the middle too.. rather than make a permanent fence with wire between uprights but no cross sections to keep it taut..  Then the shape of the front can be changed and maybe with a few more sections like this I could build a movable 6' high pen for other bits of the garden?
Ellie Douglas Therapist

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 07:08:10 pm »
Glad youy at last feel you are getting somewhere....

i am not to far from you so if you are stuck.... give me a shout...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »
no worries guys, I get anxious quite easily but it's not "offence" as such ;)

I am busy building a pen to doganjo's specifications, and will then as she says have a mix of ex-batts and the farm hybrid pullets which will work out overall to the budget I expected and give me the start of a sustainable age range/production capacity all being well..

Annie I have got the boards up on re-used fence posts in a semicircle from the front of the house to nearly parallel to the gate (narrower than the original layout) and have bought a 50m roll of wire and 6 tall skinny 2" x 8' high posts to attach double height mesh to for the remainder.  Will then add a single height of mesh over the top of the 4' boards overlapping the wood so will then hopefully have a complete pen of 6' high with the road view section blocked to 4' high.  There is a gate built from scrap wood and a piece of square mesh donated by the neighbours as they're moving out and can't remember what it was bought for anyway ;), and I've got hinges so just need to put those mesh sections up and find a post strong enough to hang the door off beside the back wall of the house..

Question - it occurred to me that given these 8' high posts it might be practical to cut the mesh and make movable partitions with cross pieces top and bottom, maybe across the middle too.. rather than make a permanent fence with wire between uprights but no cross sections to keep it taut..  Then the shape of the front can be changed and maybe with a few more sections like this I could build a movable 6' high pen for other bits of the garden?
Gosh you've been busy!  You make me feel inadequate! ;D ;D ;D  That all sounds very good!  Looking froward to seeing it - or you could take photos and let everyone see?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »
Ellie - there is a spot at newburgh or around that area (i think) that sells warrens or Isa browns  (can't remember) which for around the £8-10 mark , or it was the last time i asked though it varies on the amount you want. Their number is in the Saturday courier in the poultry section just about weekly, I'll have a look and see if we have last weeks amd pm you with it.

if my broods had come off i would have happily arranged something but sadly things didn't work out as planned. if i hear of anything or organise to buy myself if you want i can get a few more and try for a bigger discount?

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 08:46:08 am »
Gosh you've been busy!  You make me feel inadequate! ;D ;D ;D  That all sounds very good!  Looking froward to seeing it - or you could take photos and let everyone see?

Had visitors so made use of the fact that spare hands to hold posts or wield hammer were around - something I can't manage alone ::)

Was a busy day but sadly that meant yesterday was a write off and I was stuck indoors looking at it while trying not to move ::)  On the positive side I got some of my taped work transcribed for supervision on Thursday but my desk overlooks the half finished pen and I want to see hens in there while I work ;)

The ply has been rained on heavily as has everything else - it was from the old residential caravan and probably marine grade originally but I'm wondering if a coat of creosote (I have half a container in the garage to use up) would help or if it is best on the outside only ie would it be good or bad for the hens side?

Want to have a go at panels of mesh on the lighter posts today - possibly in the garage if it's as wet as yesterday ::)
Ellie Douglas Therapist

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 08:55:57 am »
Annie, pics from phone out the window over the laptop, apols for quality ;)

The boards run out just short of parallel to the footgate into the ponies field - you can just about see a the stallion and one of his mares in the last pic I think?  The boards reduce my view of them slightly, but if it means I can add chooks  :chook: :chook: to my "office" view then that'll be ok :)
Ellie Douglas Therapist

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
Re: Price of POLs - photos added
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:01 am »
That looks good, Ellie  The creosote would be Ok on the outside, but you can get animal friendly wood perservative and I haven't heard from Jim yet when the battery hen colelction is so we probably have another week or more. 
I can just see the big boy under the trees and one of his ladies in teh background.  Beautiful horses.  Soemone asked me at the weekend  if a Highland is exactly the same as a garron - I'm ashamed to say I didn't know.  And do all garrons have a donkey stripe down their backs.  Didn't know that either.  Must gogole!  Right nwo I am swotting up some toy and terrier breeds as their judge for Sunday is sick so I have to do a few extra classes and the Groups!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS