Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezing Eggs  (Read 6507 times)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
Freezing Eggs
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:59:25 pm »
Is it possible to freeze eggs, if so whats the best way to do it.

Thanks

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Freezing Eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:04:59 pm »
Tells you all about ti here. http://www.ochef.com/56.htm
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:25:09 am »
We've frozen egg whites. I wouldn't do it again. No particular reason - just didn't fancy them when they defrosted.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:34:02 pm »
We freeze duck eggs when we have a surplus.  Beat up 2 eggs with a pinch of salt, pour into a yogurt carton and cover and freeze.  They are great for baking and omelets.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:16:02 am »
I've frozen both, whites and yolks during the baking time before Christmas. I found it helpful, as we don't have our own hens' eggs (they are precious!) and some recipes ask for either yolks or whites. They are no different to process once thawed. I never tried freezing whole eggs. :&>

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:47:56 pm »
Found this info:

Freezing Eggs:  Whole eggs cannot be frozen, of course; otherwise they would expand and explode, but once out of their shells, they freeze well, ready to be used in a variety of recipes.

Crack each egg carefully and pour the whites into one dish and the yolks into another. Once you have separated them all, the whites can be poured into one ice cube tray, while the yolks go into another. The reason for separating them in this way is that recipes used later may require either whites or yolks. It’s also easier to work out how many eggs are involved: two white cubes and one yolk cube are equivalent to one whole egg. A further refinement is to divide the cubes into ‘savoury’ and ‘sweet’. Those that are destined to be used in savoury dishes should have a little salt added, while those that are to be used for cake making should have a sprinkling of caster sugar added. The reason for doing this is that when the cubes are subsequently defrosted, they are less likely to be sticky and have a skin on the top.

The defrosted eggs can be used for any recipe that requires eggs, although omelettes and soufflés may not rise as much as they would with fresh eggs. Alternatively, you could make pickled eggs, custards, quiches, cakes, meringues

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 12:35:40 am »
two white cubes and one yolk cube are equivalent to one whole egg.
Doesn't it depend on the size of the ice cube sections? ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 07:24:56 pm »
After my original posting I found a receipe in an old cookery book.
One egg beaten with half teaspoon of salt or sugar ( depending on what you are going to use them for)
They are supposed to keep for up to 9 months in the freezer. I have frozen some so we'll see what happens

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS