Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhubarb.......?  (Read 4634 times)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Rhubarb.......?
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:39:22 am »
I have got some rhubarb growing that is in it's first growing season. (Don't know atm when I planted it but it may have been the end of last year or the start of this). Bear with me, i'm tired  :)

The instruction leaflet that I got with the plants said that I shouldn't take any rhubarb in the first year. Is this true? The plants are so vigorous that it seems a shame to waste 'em. If I don't take them, what should I do with them, just let them rot down?

Thanks in advance,

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Rhubarb.......?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:00:02 am »

Mm I have the same problem, family keep muttering about rhubarb crumble and i keep saying "your not supposed to pick it this year" I am sure they think that it's just an excuse.
Anne

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:49:42 am »
same here
kn

ps not massively vigorous but plenty to enjoy 

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:06:41 pm »
It's true I'm afraid! The plant needs the first season or two to get its roots down and established nicely so it can cope in the following seasons with the constant harvest. I'd be inclined just to let it die back naturally.
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »
Last season was my first season with the rhubarb and I left it all season but then at the end of the season I took everything she had to give and made some delicious chutneys.  This year she heas been more than vigorous and I have already had 2 large crops from her.  I didn't know you were supposed to leave it though.  She seems pretty well established though x

llamakevin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Bideford, North Devon
    • Ashwood Llamas
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:40:05 pm »
I'd imagine as long as you do not overpick, one rhubarb crumble wouldn't do any harm!  :yum:
@llamakevin based in North Devon - have you found us on facebook yet?

https://www.facebook.com/Ashwoodllamas

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:44 pm »
Might take a few stalks, they might just break off as I walk past  ;D ;D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:05:01 pm »
I think it depends what time of year you plant the stool.  If it's put in towards the back end of the year/late summer, then it has a chance to become established before the following summer and the stalks will be a reasonable size.  If the stalks are less than the width of your thumb don't take them, and let them rot down into the ground.  Rhubarb is greedy and will need feeding - a bucket of well rotted manure on top of the crown at the end of the season, some rich compost every two or three weeks in season, and don't forget to give it a drink every now and then.  If it bolts (flowerheads) take them off and give it a good drink of water.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:08:59 pm »
These sticks are as thick as half a hand. They're huge so I took a couple today. We'll see what they taste like tonight......

Ian

levi_allen

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 03:28:25 pm »
I'm unsure but my neiighbour grew rhubarb last year for the first time and had load and was giving it to the market and us to make pies and thing wiith but it tasted good stilll

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS