Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: veg eaten by sheep  (Read 4093 times)

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
veg eaten by sheep
« on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:44 pm »
help , does anyone know if i will have time to start again in my polly tunnel as the two teenagers i have here helping forgot to close my tunnel and hence the sheep have got in and eaten it all , i had mongetout, peti pos,green beans , carrots , cabbage, coli and broccoli, there the ones im not sure if i can still plant now
thank you vicky :'(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: veg eaten by sheep
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:45:08 pm »
Oh bad luck Vicky  :(    You can certainly try again with the peas - make sure you have a low growing one, not Oregon sugar pod which is really tall, as the shorter ones will crop more quickly.  Petit Pois I think are quick and dwarf French beans, especially 'early' varieties or special autumn cropping ones such as Pongo will get off to a quick start in the warm soil so should give you a crop. For carrots, sow early varieties ie not maincrop. Cabbage - you are really into Spring greens sowing now, or buying in small plants if the shops have any left.  Caulis and winter broccoli - again small bought plants.  What about trying curly kale - a variety such as Dwarf Green Curled can be sown now and will crop in winter and spring so you will at least have some brassicas.
Maybe someone near you has some extra plants they could share?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:48:44 am »
Oh Vicky - I feel for you  :'( :'(

How upsetting. Hope you can repair some of the damage.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:00:24 am »
thank you for your replies wish there was something to save but they had the lot , the teenagers my niece and nephew which have both spent a year at collage where here to help as i have broken my wrist , and kept on telling me i was getting to fussy about the tunnel , so it looks like i will be combing the shops when my parents are back weekend for some more crops , worst of it was Ive only been here just under 3 months and had planted veg for freezing for the winter looks like shop brought for this winter  :'(

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:29 am »
You can sow carrots now for an autumn crop. If you can find any courgette plants, they will be fine. I have surplus Butternut squash and tomato plants if you fancied a drive!
Sheep are pesky creatures!

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 09:38:59 am »
im not alowed to drive until cast is off  ::) thank you for your other , yeh cant wait to get rid of these sheep they been nothing but a pain in the xxxx , as soon as my parents are back down to me hopful i can talk them into looking for some more plants
thank you vicky

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »
Sorry about all of this  :-* I hate that 'you're making too much fuss' thing. My DH says it and then it goes wrong and he just shrugs his shoulders, whereas if my 'fuss' had been acted upon it would have been ok  >:(

Hope your arm is ok soon. And that you get some pleasant sheep, cos nice ones are lovely  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:04:34 pm »
aww, what rotten luck vickylou.  :(

you can plant salad crops - lettuce, herbs, radish, carrots etc. 
Japanese onions (these can be planted August-ish, to over-winter) ready for next spring.
Ditto spring cabbage

?try potatoes, you might get away with them before blight starts

to be honest, try whatever seeds you've got, while they're fresh. things'll grow well in a polytunnel  :)
Little Blue

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 08:25:55 pm »
im just thankful they didn't eat my herbs and dont think they like onions , the sheep had been told any more naughty behaviour they be going in the pot , but this was the last straw these 4 are going even if its just for sausages , give me pigs any day but i was feeding them when i slipped over and broke my wrist lol didn't think anything else could go wrong but i was wrong , Ive looked to see if i had any seeds left but my nephew wanted to see how fast he could get the sprinklers working with out checking the area first he flooded my seed box out think I'm going be sending him home he causing more props then helping typical male lol thank you for your help at least i now know i can get more plants and hopeful have something home grown this winter
thank you vicky

sue collins

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:35:48 pm »
whereabouts are you Vicky? I have a couple of tomato plants in pots you could have. If you go to Homebase or Band Q they sell veg plants in pots for growing on and they would have plenty of time in your poly tunnel. What kind of sheep are they? We are buying some more soon.
 xxx Sue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS