Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what breed's of dogs do you have and  (Read 29459 times)

Red Kite

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: what breed's of dogs do you have and
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 10:20:29 am »
We have a whippet x Bedlington who's currently fast asleep next to one of the cats in a patch of sunlight on the living room floor. She has hopeless recall, unless it suits her, is an excellent sitter and is 100% reliable with the chickens. She doesn't do much to earn her keep, but I'm absolutely besotted with her!

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 10:25:17 am »
a beagle and a black lab

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 10:41:09 am »
Two collies - both 11 now. Well, Meg is a collie and Tess was sold to us as a collie, but seems to have more terrier instinct than collie. We did a bit of obedience training and a bit of agility before other time demands took over. They are just pets - our sheep don't need a dog, just a packet of oatcakes  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 11:29:07 am »
We have a rescue Doberman boy and a Border terrierist. The border catches rats expertly but the Dobie is just a bony cushion, hilarious and lovely tho!!

Here they are when they arent chewing each other!

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
We recently lost a very much loved whippet lurcher.... :( :(
But we now have a ten week old Border Collie-flower !! weeeeeelllll she is pretty!!!
 look...
and then we have Oddy who is a Border Terrier cross Collie...his photo is attached too!

Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 09:07:04 pm »
10 Siberian Huskies, 1 sixteen years old, 4 11 year old and 5 4 year old.
all have been or are working/ racing dogs but all are also pets first
kn

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »
4 whippets
3 border terriers
1 patterdale
plus a litter of whippet pups all of to new homes tomorrow except 2 (hint hint) as they dont have homes yet
All The Adults are working dogs and help with my work (pestie)

heres one of the whippets earnign his keep

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:52 pm »
kn

I think it was about 91 when I met Harris Dunlop he came over to the UK and searched me out , to see how I conditioned dogs

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 10:03:33 pm »
We've got 3 a collie who will semi work sheep and geese, but also a first class beating dog(dog used to flush birds on a shoot for those who didnt know) a cavalier who is a lazy sod but when it comes to ratting he loves it and a lab who is 9 who still is a first class working gundog although she is winding down slowly because she wont accept her age.

Would love a border terrier think they're lovely dogs

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 04:08:53 pm »
kn

I think it was about 91 when I met Harris Dunlop he came over to the UK and searched me out , to see how I conditioned dogs

if you mean harris dunlap and im sure you do then maybe you could share your knowledge even more. he has of course caused so much controversy within our breed.
kn

ps a link to a brief history of the above controversy   http://home.swipnet.se/~w-38770/zero.htm

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 05:53:58 pm »
We have an old man collie who will still chase a ball at every opportunity, a chocolate lab who can catch rabbits but refuses to bring them to you prefering to eat them herself (she is good at eating anything really, rotting carcasses a favourite) and 2 beautiful and crazy springer spaniels who love to work at cuddling and looking cute!  We have a German Shepherd bitch booked though and should receive her in Sep/Oct (can't wait).  She will be trained for agility if she likes it or another family addition if she doesn't.  Love my dogs, so comforting and loveable x

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 08:39:33 pm »
We have a 9 year old collie springer cross, who is from working parents.  She is having a brilliant time with the geese and runner ducks as she seemed to have found her instincts and is helping us no end when it comes to herding them up to put them to bed!  She knows to go round them instead of through the middle and creeps towards them instead of charging, so to say she has had no training she is fab!!  We also have a 3 year old Newfoundland, who is fantastic, she also tries to help with the herding, but does the exact opposite to the collie ie charging through the middle.  She tries so hard to copy the collie but doesnt seem to understand why she is doing it!!  They are really funny to watch though, and soppy as hell with all the animals - couldnt fault them at all!   ;D

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »
Current pack is Two Giant Schnauzers and a Northern Inuit ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 07:50:54 am »
Oh, I love Northern Inuits - my next dog  ;D

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 08:52:20 am »
We have two rescue collies, the male works cattle well, a bit too keen for sheep and a bitch who works sheep if she's in the mood for it. She is really gunshy and we have a shoot nearby, so some days we don't even take her with us.
I once saw a staffy x on an estate in wiltshire work sheep as well as any collie. We were gobsmacked i didn't know this breed would work sheep but he brought them in and penned them and i think he was crossed with a terrier breed!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS