Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how to go about keeping a few pigs  (Read 4386 times)

Ace

• Joined Jul 2011
how to go about keeping a few pigs
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:56:16 pm »
hi just bought a new place 3 acres of land with it,got a holding number how do i go about letting the correct people know I'm keeping pigs ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: how to go about keeping a few pigs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:42:31 am »
hi just bought a new place 3 acres of land with it,got a holding number how do i go about letting the correct people know I'm keeping pigs ?

You don't say where you are, so apologies if I have assumed Britain incorrectly.

Do you mean you already have pigs?  If so, there should have been a movement license to move them on to your land. 

Best you have a look at the BPA site guidance http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/pedigree%20traceability.htm - it's talking about pedigree herds but the same rules apply regarding letting Defra know you have pigs whether they're pedigree or mutts.

Hope that helps
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:52:36 am »
Step 1: get a CPH (County Parish Holding) number from Defra, Welsh Assembly, etc
Step 2: get a herd number from your local Animal Health office (above will give you the contact details)

As posted earlier, all movements of livestock have to be recorded (by sending the relevant forms - in this case the top copy of the AML 2) to your local trading standards. In addition, you have to keep your own movement book (whether a computer file or an actual book you write in), which records moves on and off, births and deaths.

Hope this helps. A bit of a nightmarish journey, I know. Why the CPH and herd number can't be dealt with in one place, nobody seems to know!

Good luck with the pigs
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:36:36 am »
You will also need to keep an Animal Medicines Record Book. Your local Trading Standards department may be able to give you one but you can download one as a pdf from the internet (google "animal medicine record book).
Liz, one reason the CPH and the Herd No. are dealt with by different departments is the CPH goes with the land but the herdmark goes with you, so if you move farms/smallholdings you change CPH numbers but keep your herdmark.
Best of luck with your pigs, Ace!
BTW, if you decide to get sheep, goats or other livestock later you will need a separate flock number.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 02:01:35 pm »
I realise that, thanks. But you would think there would be some channel of communication so that you could have a one-stop-shop. But, then, that would be asking a lot, wouldn't it?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:53:23 pm »
Joined-up thinking from local & national government? Dream on!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS