Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs with worms...now what?  (Read 2038 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
pigs with worms...now what?
« on: July 10, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »
I found a few long worms in the pig poo. 

At the tractor supply store they sell a liquid to add to water supply but we use a nipple system.  A concentrated powder to add to the food but how do I make sure every one of the four in the pen get enough.  Two of them are real "hogs" at the feeder?

Thanks to all who reply.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

robert waddell

Re: pigs with worms...now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:54:00 pm »
injectable wormer to do both internal and external parasites should work better :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:08:16 pm »
I'd be tempted to go for an injectable wormer too - that way you know for definate that they've had a dose (and the right dose for their weight  ;))
Or, to dose them orally mix up a dose for each in a big bucket and put them all in at the same time (2 people required though  ;) ;D)
Also, once you worm them, move them onto fresh ground if at all possible. Otherwise they'll just pick the worms back up again.
Are they permanent residents Yankiegirl ?
If they're going to slaughter you shouldn't need to do them again before they go - but if it's breeding stock it's definately worth getting regular worm counts done or bringing in a worming routine, otherwise their health will suffer and they won't be as happy, healthy and productive.
HTH
Karen x

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »
thanks...injections again :( :'(

This group of 4 are temporary.  To the butcher closer to fall. 

They live in an inside pen with a concrete floor with a door to an outside run also with concrete floor.  I thought I was keeping things very clean.

This has not been our year... the "E" word sickness now worms.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS