Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bore hole  (Read 2756 times)

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Bore hole
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:30:13 pm »
We've just had out bore hole nearly completed today - we now have water and the taste is fantastic! no impurities! if anyone is thinking about a bore hole, more than happy to advise as its a bit of a mine field if you don't know what your doing ... like me at the start of our project  :wave:
Red

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Re: Bore hole
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:23:30 am »
Hi Red

I'd be interested in any information you have on this. Both the practical issues and the legalities.

As I understand the situation, you have to get approval from the local water company, pay a fee and agree to taking no more than a certain amount of water.

However, you obviously have more knowledge than me and I would be grateful for anything you can add.

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:56:50 am »
Also prices and area required around it.  I heard they were expensive.  I have a wayleave on my old house for my plot but it might be complicated to physically get the water without a great deal of upheavel to my friends who bought my house, so looking for alternatives before re-applying for permission.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »
Our water comes from our own well, but I'd be very interested to hear more about the bore hole process.
Metal Detectorist

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »
I am now a total convert to bore holes! the water tastes so pure and lovely!

I'll to try and answer your questions from what i've learnt ...

:)You don't need planning permission
 ;)If your extracting less than 20cubic metres a day of water you do not need a license
 :DIt does make a bit of a mess when drilling to I'd advise as far away as you can from buildings or anything that  ;Dyou are prescious about
 >:(You need to have somewhere to house the electrics for the pump which is waterproof and vandal proof
 :(You only need a standard 13 amp plus to opporate the bore hole so if you do not have mains electric which we  :odon't at the minute you can run the pump off a small generator
 8)You should have a survay undertaken of the land to make sure there is water - we didn't as all of our neighbours have bore holes and we did a bit of our own research into the rock formation so found water straight away when drilling
 ???We got about 7 quotes and the majority of prices were about £7 - £10,000 but we found a wonderful man called Chris Saul based in Ripon who took pity on us and has sorted the job lot for £6500
 :PThe set up costs are one off - the only cost is to have the water checked eached year, its about £150, and legally if you are supplying this as drinking water to someone you need to get it tested otherwise its up to you

Hope thats useful, anything else specific please just ask & I'll try to help  :wave:

Red
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS