Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hogweed  (Read 9123 times)

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
Hogweed
« on: May 20, 2011, 02:10:58 pm »
I have got several patches of Hogweed in my field (not where the horses can get to atm) and wondered what I should do about it. I know it causes blisters if in contact with the stems but should I be digging this out to save the horses or what? Thanks in anticipation

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Hogweed
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:16:54 pm »
Can you burn it back with a weed wand or blow torch to boil the roots?

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 03:40:13 pm »
first fence the area off            round up sprayed on the green leafs    or injected into the stems         dont slash or cut
roundup gets down to the root system and kills it    several years of spraying have to be done before you eradicate it
if you dig it out you have to take it to a licenced tip that deals with it very expencive            as are the experts it is up to you take the advice here or pay hansomly for an expert  it is your call        google it as well  :wave:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:16 pm »
Don't tell anyone, but we've got giant hogweed AND Japanese knotweed. Curses.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »
Thank you for your replies....food for thought

pasture eyes

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 04:38:31 pm »
Giant Hogweed should not be slashed/cut down as the sap is extremely painful on skin - especially in sunlight.   Spray it with a product containing Glyphosate, add 30mils to each litre of water and spray using a medium nozzle on a knapsack sprayer.   The seeds have a 15-20 year viability in the soil, so if you haven't done much about it in past years and let it seed - it'll be a long haul.  Do it every year when at about a metre tall, usually during April, leave it to die and after about a month when it's dry and crisp  - carefully cut it down and burn it.
If it's growing in grass that you don't want to kill, use Pastor or Grazon-90 instead, 8 mils and 6 mils per litre of water respectively, as both products do no harm to established grass.   Technically you should have a spraying certificate if you are doing it on another's land and / or for reward.    Good Luck    :)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 05:52:30 pm »
Hogweed or giant hogweed? Ordinary hogweed not a problem: you can even eat it!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 06:12:12 pm »
And pigs love hogweed apparently. I've been trying to grow some in our pig paddock for them next year but - no luck
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »
Thanks for everyones replies. I'm not sure if it's all going to be Giant's Hogweed or just Cow Parsley or just common or garden Hog's Weed but I am gradually managing to kill and dig it out and burn it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:32:26 am »
Ordinary hogweed and cow parsley are perfectly ok and palateable, in fact our sheep relish cow parsley and it adds nutrients which plain grass can't. The only noxious weed which you need to get rid of is Giant Hogweed - it has huge leaves which are very different to both hogweed and cow parsley.  I don't know if horses like hogweed or cow parsley though but both will respond to regular scytheing if you want to get rid of it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »
Ours is ginormous. I can see why the idiotic Victorians brought it here. It's really impressive, I might leave ours!  ;D

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS