Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boo Hoo Mrs. DeVere has vanished  (Read 24108 times)

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
Re: Boo Hoo Mrs. DeVere has vanished
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 09:42:07 pm »
Hello hello

SHE'S BACK  :) :) :) :) :) :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A HUGE BIG THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU FOR YOUR EXTREME KINDNESS, THOUGHTS AND SUPPORT. 

Yesterday as I was collecting Noah (our youngest) from school my wife called me on my mobile to say our Maire was at the house as Mrs. DeVere was busy digging up someones garden and he had been called as the person who discovered her was a bit nervous of this huge animal in her garden.

As luck would have it a friend is here from the UK and a guy and his wife were here helping us make sausages and had brought a Peitrain X and had his horse box so I rushed back to where I was told she was (would you believe less than a kilometer & the only place I hadn't looked or thought of looking) and low and behold absolutely oblivious to all of the fuss and concern she nonchalently looked up and wandered off into a wood, then the fun really started.

Imagine, she had been out of her paddock for three days, had been totally self sufficient and had had high jinx with living the good life digging up acorns and generally doing as she pleased and then six people turn up to 'persuade' her (I now know that she weighs 320 -330 kilos) that she would be better off back in the old paddock. She was having none of it!!! we chased and caught, she escaped, we cornered and tied a rope on, she escaped, we bribed her with food and got her nearly home by walking her, she escaped so brute force, a great deal of pushing, pulling and arm waving and two hours later Mrs. DeVere was safely in the back of the horse box and was back home.

I left her to sleep off the excitment and fed her in the horse box to let her rest and be calm and then later today we went over gently with the horse box on the back of the tractor and let her out back into her enclosure. Guess what?? after ten minutes of pacing around she was off through the electric fence and heading back towards where she had been before!!! So race after her and chase and chase and fall over and chase some more before having to tie a rope to her back leg and again 'mildly suggest' that it would be in her best interest to do as she was asked as I was looking at her back quarters and thinking what lovely hams they would make if she didn't play ball, bless her!!!!

Tonight she is tucked up in the horse box whilst we prepare an indoor area for her to reaclimatise to her life before she went walkabout on the equivalent of her 18-30's holiday. At least she is back where she belongs and we are soooo happy that she is in good health and in the same condition as when she went.

Again a whopping THANK YOU ALL for everything said and thought by all, it really is very much appreciated.

Kind regards and my very best wishes
Andy & Family

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 07:07:25 am »
This is the best news to start our day! We had the most terrible feeling that after all this time she was sausages for sure.

I find myself sitting here with the most enormous smile on my face! Absolutely the most fantastic news - and in true Mrs DeVere style she continues to be the centre of attention in her largeness!

Have the most wonderful day all together again!

Kate and family and friends and pigs and uncle Tom Cobley and all!
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 08:14:34 am »
After a rotten week for most of us with the weather etc. what fantastic and wonderful news to wake up to and to start the new week with.  Thanks for letting us know.  May I make a suggestion?  It is a very good idea to find Mrs DeVere some company (may be a little Rebecca) who she will hate for at least a day, before becoming the best of friends with.

Also when you reaclimatise Mrs DeVere, if you can put tin sheets or any other barrier through which she can not see just behind the electric fence this will help to keep her in.  You will only need it for about a week, so even if you need to greatly reduce the paddock it will be fine.

Even Hilary submits to that.  I am so, so delighted for you.  Wonderful, wonderful news.  HM

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 09:47:46 am »
Wooohooo fantastic news!!!

Glad you got her back, safe and sound..  :)

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 10:48:20 am »
 :) Hi Andy & Co

Thank you so much for showing us around your place, it's truly lovely & inspiring! and it was very nice to meet you & Tarnia.  The pig arcs you are selling are fab - just what I was looking for & can't wait for it to arrive! 
So glad that you got Mrs DeVere back - Fabulous News!
Will def be over for some chooks once I've got the hen house sorted.
Thanks Again, Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 09:14:45 pm »
Hi, Andy and family

So glad Mrs DeVere has come home! I hoped she was just out and about, having a fun time and she sure was!

Rosemary

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 09:13:29 am »
so pleased for you. i was keeping my fingers crossed for good news and have been eagerly logging on for the next installment.

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 07:37:11 pm »
Hello all

Thank you, thank you and thanks again for all of the postings and the messages sent via e-mail. I, sorry, we are touched. Really.

Mrs. DeVere (or Bubbles) is settling back into the routine and is true to form being a clown. Today we gave her some toys to play with, as she is now inside, one of these is an old tyre and when I went to check on her this evening she was parading around with the thing around her neck as if it were the latest from 'Maison Gaultier' and to boot had a carrot hanging from her mouth as if she were smoking a Gaulloises and, please excuse the comparison, looked as if she should have been promenading along the Bois De Bologne in Paris!!! What would we do without her???

Well maybe I will write a book as if anyone had told me five years ago that I would go soppy over 320 kilos of pig my answer would be unprintable!! There must be some marketable value in a story 'Me & Mrs DeVere' (well the song Me and Mrs. Mrs. Brown did OK!!)

Thank you all and I am happy to be part of the wonderful family that is Accidental Smallholder.

Best Wishes
Andy

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 08:06:20 pm »
If anyone had told me 3 years ago that we would be jumping in and out of a website several times a day to get the update on a missing pig I would have thought them to be mad!

Mrs DeVere has been such a large part of so many peoples life recently that she has become part of the family! The Accidental Smallholder family. I think she should have her own page or maybe a diary, and keep us all up to date on her latest antics -Romance - social life - fashion - spontaneous holidays! The life and times of Mrs DeVere - has a nice ring to it to!

Hope we get to see a pic of the lovely lady soon.

Kate
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 12:03:30 am »
 :D

So very happy for you. I can go to bed happy!

Pebbles

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 09:03:37 am »
andy, i think it was" me and mrs jones". I agree that the tale of one man and his adventurous, intelligent pig would be a real treat, especially for the kids. ( i can see the illutration in my mind of mrs d wearing a tyre and smoking a carrot). glad she settled back in.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 10:48:35 am »
As Hilary has just walked in the door (power is off) I reckon we should all write a book telling our piggie stories.  Move over JK Rawling, the pigs are coming.

Tony.K

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 09:01:21 pm »
Hi Andy,
Well the good news first, She has not gone looking for a boar, A boar can smell a female hogging for up to two miles away, Anyone who knows about pigs will also know that a female hogging doesnt move, she stands and waits for the boar to come to her, once she is aware of her offspring going and believe me she would have noticed something different happening this would have sent her off looking for a new friend,
Rule number one with pigs, never keep one on it's own, Pigs are the most sociable animal you will ever come across, (more than dogs ) she has gone looking for a new soulmate.
as and when and if she returns ensure she has a companion, even if it's a little pig far smaller than herself, this would be the better option as they will have already sorted out the pecking order and thus will not fight too much.
good luck, and keep rattling a bucket of food, you may have to walk several miles, look for signs of woodland/the area being flattened, where she has sept, also pay special attention around trees, deer knibble the bark about 1 metre up. pigs nibble the bottom.
Tony.k

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:41 am »
 ???
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:32:03 am by Hilarysmum »

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 03:15:35 pm »
Tony,
I think you will find she is back- luckily
Cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS