Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boo Hoo Mrs. DeVere has vanished  (Read 24109 times)

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
Boo Hoo Mrs. DeVere has vanished
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:49:41 pm »
Well Hi Guys n Girls

I really need some advice/help please.

Yesterday was the day of reckoning here at home for our three castrated boars, Danny the street (La Rue), Liberace & Quentin, they left the pigpen on Monday and came over to the 'tour a cochon' where they were to spend their last evening prior to 'the deed' being done, all was well with our lovely sow Mrs. DeVere (our very large white) who didn't appear to be to bothered at 'her boys' departure and she didn't seem to be upset. In essence it would mean more grub for her!! yesterday afternoon at some point between midday and 5-30 she vanished and despite extensive searching we have not been able to locate her. We have been unable to find any footprints as the ground is so so wet and her prints would be filled with water as she moved, is she searching for 'her boys' if so will she return?? how far can she wander?? is there any hope that we will ever see her again?? I have called the local Gendarme (police), visited our Mairie (town hall) and called in to local farms and asked if they see her to call, as yet nothing and it has been twenty four plus hours.

Any advice or ideas very welcome as we really want a happy outcome and not the things we have heard from the doom monger's who we have spoken too already.

Cheers
Andy

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Boo Hoo Mrs. DeVere has vanished
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 07:58:11 am »
In my very humble opinion - She has probably come into season and gone off to find another male.  (We had a female sanglier in our boar pen on Sunday).  If possible leave some food in her pen, she may well come back.  Hilary who in her youth was a great wanderer always turned up, normally in places we would have preferred her not to have been found!!!
HM

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:09:57 pm »
Hi
Any news yet?
Carole

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:12:25 pm »
Not a word nor a single sighting, which we think is very odd as she is a big girl at 260/270 kilos so is not hard to miss.

We are really really upset at this loss as she was our first and only sow who we hoped to have bred from in the not to distant future, it is just like losing a family member as we can't stop thinking of some dreadful fate that might of occured.

Thanks for your responses thus far and fingers crossed that it will have a happy ending.

All the best
Andy

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 01:33:41 pm »
Where are you located Andy, will ask around if you are near to me
Good Luck
Carole

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 01:47:01 pm »
hope you find her soon! she is proberably munching her way through a load of food somewhere!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:07:14 pm »
ANDY I am so sorry!

Have you checked the hedgerows? Daft question I know, but foot prints do fill in in this weather but if she has taken to the road she may nose out the sides of the roads for buried chestnuts or acorns. Also in the fields around you, look amongst the mole hills - the nosed up terrain could easily be mistaken as mole hills from a distance.

We had an escapie last week - a young male Tamworth squeezed behind my legs as I was going in with new bedding. He dissapeared for 24 hours - the tale tale signs were as above, but still no pig. We alerted the authorities as you have, but he just strolled in as if nothing had happened, nosed his gate to get in and hung around for food.

I hope she returns soon - I am sure she knows where home is. As HM says, she could have got the scent of a boar - a wild boar perhaps. Fingers crossed and good luck and please keep us posted.

Kate

Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 02:47:24 pm »
Just a thought Andy - put out a posting on Angloinfo - it might just help.

Kate

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 03:57:19 pm »
Hi, Andy

Hope she turns up, safe and sound. Hopefully, she's having the time of her life - maybe with a wild boar!! The challenge might be getting her to settle down to routine domesticity once she's experienced the highways and byways.

Rosemary

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:21:03 am »
Thanks so much all for your kind words, thought and sound advice. A great comfort, my wife is beside herself as are our two boys, and if I am totally honest so am I, it just doesn't seem the same without seeing her head sticking up in her pen and her snorting away waiting for her food before loloping off and doing some daft thing or other.

Carole, we are in a village called Obterre in dept 36 so maybe we are close?? I went out yesterday on the tractor with the theory that it would be higher up and I would be able to see if she had fallen into a fosse or ditch but do you know there is absolutely nothing, no signs of rooting, no dung, footprints or anything not a bloomin sign. It is if she has just spirited away.

I called into our bar last evening and the owner kindly insisted that I put up a notice which I have done and also if she isn't back by tomorrow then he is going to organise a hunt with a load of the local's, really very very kind of him. The chaps in the bar think it is bizarre that she hasn't been seen as we have a lot of open ground bordered by hedgerows and some small woods. she must be somewhere?? all we hope is that she hasn't been 'pignapped' and some b*****d isn't rubbing their hands with glee at this apparent gift from the gods!!

Kate, A good idea about Angloinfo, will do that today after our searching.

Cheers all and will keep you posted.

Andy

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:44 pm »
Andy
Very sorry but I am in dept 56 so quite a way from you. I know this must be a difficult time for you. Once all my first 3 pigs I ever had, went walkabouts and we searched all day but found them all together luckily, it was a very harrowing time. Are there any other pig keepers by you, she may have gone for company or picked up the scent from them.
Please let us all know what happens, we can offer support here but sadly can not help in the search for her
Good luck
Carole

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 09:18:51 am »
Just hoping for good news today for you and your family Andy.

Mrs DeVere is totally on all of our minds here. 'Is there any news?' was the first thing my daughter asked yesterday when she returned from school.

If the power of thought really does makes a difference I can only tell you that there is a heap of it coming in your direction today from all of us here as Les Rues.

Kate

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 12:54:01 pm »
Hi Andy

I have been thinking about Mrs DeVere ever since you posted her missing.

My two escaped the other day when I was clearing out their ark.Even though they were just within my sight (terrorising the ewes!) I was so worked up at that they may just make it out under a gate or fall in to the stream. I spent an hour chasing them panicking and fearing the worse.

I do hope it turns out to be as everyone suggests, that she is having the time of her life and will be back amongst you and your family very soon. And when she DOES return make sure there is no way she can get out again. My two have had a brief taste of freedom and I am very aware of them trying to escape everytime I move the fencing to get in with them!

Do let us know when she is found/ ambles back  :)

Pebbles

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »
hope you find her soon
linz

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 05:06:25 pm »
I do hope that she either turns up soon or she is found safe and sound.

You are all in our thoughts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS