Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: our new puppy :-)  (Read 10526 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: our new puppy :-)
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 11:48:10 am »
Oh and no other breed has the ability to clear a low table with one sweep of the tail more effectively than a Lab. 

... my GSD can! 
A great whippy end thing she has, and every winter she mananges to singe the end in the gas fire, even with a guard up :D
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 11:59:58 am »
Labs Tales + Long stemmed glasses =  ::)

Our male lab made dummies out of his blankets and sucks them franticly, it looks cute but the covers get soggy and smelly!! Rohan, our Yellow Lab, sucks Rhums ear, they both love that!!

Rhum our Chocolate Lab cannot swim as fast as the others so goes a little way out the attacks them on their way back!!!

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 11:02:37 am »
Thank you all for your advice! Do keep it coming :-)
:-/ Afraid I've been chasing her round the lawn this morning after my husband's boxers that were meant to be going in the wash! Oh dear - all wrong then!!
Yes - my hubby told me to be careful with her - that she has to grow up slowly - we have open stairs that the cats adore - but I'm not keen on and the dog is totally uninterested in thankfully - she just sits at the bottom and cries if I go up - but know they would be dangerous for her if she tried them.
So would it be worth teaching her drop it as well?
She does tend to have quiet mornings with me, asleep in her (cat) basket or on her rug, or under my feet when I'm sitting here on the sofa. Then a mad time running about chewing things she finds etc. later on - evenings are her most active time- which is difficult as she is just in the lounge with us then - the older dogs are in from the kennel and in the utility room that she has the run of to outdoors during the day! Can be difficult working her around all the other animals routines!! Lol
My MIL says there are some training books next door (in holiday cottage) she will get for me when present occupiers leave tomorrow - they are for pointers - but am sure will be a start. They have all had gundogs before - I had a working cocker - but just as a pet indoors in a house - before I came here to live -I think the poor boy only wanted to work - he would always run at birds etc when out walking. I suppose I stopped all his natural instincts :-( Now he lives here and is outdoors and part of a pack with the other 5 he is so much happier - he would pace my wooden floors before day and night. But he is no good as a worker - altho think he'd like a go at sheepherding!! Lol

Oh - and thank yoyu for the complimetns to my daughter too :-) x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:24:00 pm »
:-/ Afraid I've been chasing her round the lawn this morning after my husband's boxers that were meant to be going in the wash!

Ahhh, boxer shorts!  I read it as boxer dogs, couldn't see why it would hurt to run around before they had their wash...  ::) ;) :D ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »
So would it be worth teaching her drop it as well?
For goodness sake NEVER teach a labrador to drop anything if you are going to work her!  ::)Teach her to bring everything she picks up back to you and put it in your hand - and I mean EVERTHING  ;)

Never run after her, hide form her just now and she will be insecure so she'll come and look for you.

Your pointer book might give you the basics as I ahve just told you, but they work totally differently to a Labarador so don't take that book any further!  You need to get a book on training labs for work.  This website is good - http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/training-a-labrador-puppy.html#Labrador and there are numerous videos on youtube - Dogs 101 - Labrador Basic Training
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 04:00:41 pm »
OMS she is so lovely.  Good luck with the training.  Hubby found his black lab easy peasy to train but of course he still has his faults, but retrieving on a shoot certainly isn't one of them. 

Getting myself a wee chocolate coloured cocker spaniel soon.

princesspiggy

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 05:41:04 pm »
lucky you, shes gorgeous. we have a choc lab, hes great, so good choice ! :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS