Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: our new puppy :-)  (Read 10571 times)

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
our new puppy :-)
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:13:00 pm »
Never had a lab before but my husband has (he says they break your heart). My daughter wanted one so here she is. Cadi our nine week old choc lab pup. So far an angel :-)
Any training or keeping tips or advice happily received - thank you :-)
She will be house dog, family pet but also working gun dog. We have six other dogs - outdoor/kennel/utility room dogs - spaniels and sheepdogs.

Sandy

Re: our new puppy :-)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:47:41 pm »
Wonderful, we have 4
 ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »
She's lovely  :)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »
What a lovely puppy - she looks as if she will be very well loved  :love:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:54:12 pm »
All I can say is our labs are so easy to train as they love thier food. Our chocolate one sticks to me like glue on her walks, she joins the others but then comes back. Our 2 young ones are 18 mths and still will destroy my things like socks, pens, glasses, plastic stuff, not taken shoes since they were young. Labs often chew plaster off walls if they get board, also wood stuff like table legs, the closer the strain to working dogs the more board they get but with other dogs and children you should be fine.....usualy they grow up and chew no more but don't hold me to that one!!!!!!!!!! We are very proud of our Labs and your little Chocolate drop looks ace!!!!! Oh keep the pup on puppy food for as long as poss, around 12-18mths as they need to grow good strong bones!!!

Leri

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Trefriw, near Llanrwst, Conwy
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 04:23:50 pm »
Thank you :-)
She's got working blood on her mother's side and show blood on her father's side. Mother is a lovely sleek black lab, father choc. She eats little and often at the moment - going back and to to her bowl for little bits, she is on dry puppy food. She can 'sit' and will 'fetch' a ball. Got to teach kids to teach her 'dead' instead of drop it like they have with our other dog. She is quiet at night, quietens down once all lights are out - think we have been very lucky. She doesn't seem scared of anything - her curiosity has caused a few clatters but she takes it all in her stride :-)
Think she is going to be a pleasure  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:17:24 pm »
Both puppy and daughter are beautiful!

My first two dogs when i set up home myself were litter-mate sister labs. They chewed everything, including chair spars, were very affectionate, playful and easily trained. I think you're going to have great fun with her  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »
Thank you :-)
She's got working blood on her mother's side and show blood on her father's side. Mother is a lovely sleek black lab, father choc. She eats little and often at the moment - going back and to to her bowl for little bits, she is on dry puppy food. She can 'sit' and will 'fetch' a ball. Got to teach kids to teach her 'dead' instead of drop it like they have with our other dog. She is quiet at night, quietens down once all lights are out - think we have been very lucky. She doesn't seem scared of anything - her curiosity has caused a few clatters but she takes it all in her stride :-)
Think she is going to be a pleasure  :D

She looks lovely!  'Dead' means 'put it into my hand' remember, not 'drop it on the floor'! So the kids must learn that whatever she brings them must be taken from her with thanks and without worrying how disgusting it is.  ;D  Don't grab things from her, encourage her to place them in your hand, eventually getting her sit first.  The 'hold' command is a good one to teach in the early stages so she learns to hold onto the retrieve article until you are ready to take it.   Tell the children never to chase her - always to run away from her.  They can play hide and seek - they can hide from her and call her so she learns to hunt for them.  She will eventually ahve to elarn spcific retreive commands - long straight retrieves, hidden retrieves, memory retrieves, split retrieves, but if your husband shoots he will know all that.  A good retriever trainer will be worth paying for.  She will also need to learn sit/stays as Labradors sometiems have to sit still for long periods on a shoot and it can be dangerous for them to roam even short distances.   Obvioulsy she must ealrn the 'emergency stop' as all dgos should, adn also an instant recall.
There are a lot of excellent gundog training books around.  A well trained gundog is worth it's weight in gold. Have fun and enjoy training her!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »
she's gorgeous ... I love chocolate Labs!  :love:
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 08:33:34 pm »
Your daughter is beautiful too!!!!Our chocolate Lab is more strongly built than my others with a wide head, she always brings me something when out on a walk, tonight, a small dead frog!!!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 09:58:24 pm »
Just a thought - you probably already know this, so forgive me, but keep a check on how much exercise she gets for the first 9-12 months. I think its 5 mins per month of age, eg 3 months old only 15 minutes etc.. Just gives time for hips, elbows etc to get strong. Especially important for big dogs like labs and setters etc.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 10:03:01 pm »
That is important, some people forget the need for thier pups to sleep as well....they should not go up and down stairs until mature either....although sometimes that just happens but it puts a strain on thier hips etc!!!

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 07:33:25 am »
And save all worn out, single and shrunken socks.  Stuffed socks make wonderful toys/retrieving dummies for labs. 

She looks gorgeous and you will I am sure have great fun with her. 

Oh and no other breed has the ability to clear a low table with one sweep of the tail more effectively than a Lab.  Not even my Pointers who can do a fairly efficient table clearing job!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 08:00:56 am »
oh she is adorable  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 09:24:12 am »
Beautiful!  (Pup and daughter both.)

My BIL has a gorgeous talented working red lab.  I am told that as my BIL is not a great shot, the dog has decided to retrieve for everyone else otherwise he gets long boring days...  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS