Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New addition  (Read 9737 times)

HappyHippy

Re: New addition
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 08:06:07 pm »
the others we have are, 1 boxer, 1 staffy, 1 staffy x boxer (offspring of the first 2) 2 chihuahuas, 1 springer, and 1 working collie  ;D
I think you'll find Gucci to be a good bit calmer than your current dogs (every boxer and staffie I've met are nuts, and as an optician - collies seem to be the biggest culprit of destroyed glasses !)
We had a lab for 15 years and she was the softest, most loyal & obidient dog I've ever known - did have a thing for chewing mind you, but I think most gundogs do, something to do with them having softer mouths ?

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 09:31:17 pm »
 ;D seem to have all the hyper ones  :-\  gucci is already sitting and staying, and zoe is slowly working on "down" with him, :) he was clean last night in the house, and everytimehes been out today hes been to the loo, with only to little piddles in the house  ;D
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 08:44:03 pm »
Very sweet looking pup.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:46 am »
When buying a Lab pup always ask to see the parents' green Hip dysplasia certificates.  The current average score for labs is 15.  A pedigree with multiple FT champs might be too 'hot' for a novice or pet owner as it's instinct will be to work, and if frustrated may become destructive.

Any dog's health records can be searched for on the Kennel Club website - http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/health/search/

If a dog is registered it may be entered in any Kennel club event such as dog shows, field trials etc.  If it is not registered it may not be shown or trialled and progeny will not be registered either.  Prices are therefore generally lower, although having said that, the current economic climate is such that there are a lot of pups on the market and therefore prices will be falling.  I know there are currently over 100 German Wirehair pups on the market and rather more Cocker Spaniels.
Always see the Dam and if possible also the Sire of any pups.  The registration certificate should be available with the pup at the time of sale as this process usually take around 3 weeks maximum if done by snailamil and can actually now be done online instantly.  If a breeder has a number of different litters available at one time it is possible he/she is a puppy farmer - the Kennel club is trying to eradicate these over a period of time and is encouraging responsible breeders to become members of the Accredited Breeder Scheme (http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/203)
The majority of good breeders also have access to free insurance for the first 12 weeks in the pups new ownership, when it is most vulnerable.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:21:09 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:18:35 am »
did have a thing for chewing mind you, but I think most gundogs do, something to do with them having softer mouths ?

Nope - frustration. Lack of stimulation, sometimes also lack of exercise.

If they have a soft mouth they pick things up but shouldn't 't chew them to bits - what's the point of a gundog that has the game half eaten before it gets to you? :o
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »
4 whippets
3 border terriers
1 patterdale
plus a litter of whippet pups all of to new homes tomorrow except 2 (hint hint) as they dont have homes yet
All The Adults are working dogs and help with my work (pestie)

heres one of the whippets earnign his keep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS