Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tour of the garden - video camera experiment  (Read 5591 times)

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
Tour of the garden - video camera experiment
« on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:38 am »
I've been experimenting with my new video camera. Here's my first attempt a tour of the garden. It North/ Northeast facing in South London. My commentary is a bit quiet our neighbour was giving me funny looks when I apparently started talking to myself which made me all self conscious  :). We've been on holiday so the garden is a bit neglected.

http://youtu.be/qfyl06mWlI0 

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Tour of the garden - video camera experiment
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:37:01 pm »
Excellent, great use of space.   :)

Are you right in a city?

Not so sure about the hens' names though, not being a Friends fan I think the best place for Rachel and Monica is the pot!   :D

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:03:22 pm »
We're in Eltham (south bit of Greenwich). There was an air raid shelter in the garden in the past and when we moved in there was still loads bits of it buried around the place. The estate we're on was built to house the workers for the Woolwich Arsenal in World War 1 so they gave the houses bigish gardens (for London) to try and attract family men who they thought would be less likely to go boozing and turn up for work hungover. 

The hedgerow border down the side of the garden has been really great at attracting bees and all sorts of wild life.

Much as I love my garden we'll be moving to our new smallholding soon (fingers crossed).

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:41:17 am »
I enjoyed that little tour, may do something similar. I have lost our Rosemary and lost a little Bay Tree but an older larger one is comming back Phew!! as I love Bay!!!! I like gardens like yours, hate the too neat millitary style...Idealy, I would have little woodland patches, got some trees but the chickens eat any ferns I plant to make it more woodlandy....very nice!!
THANKS

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:53:56 am »
That's wonderful, really enjoyed the video tour - especially the gentle chicken noises in the final few minutes  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:27:16 pm »
Just an added thought, can you get into your chicken run? I have something similar and I take the top off most of it but there is a bit that I nailed down and thats where they lay there eggs so I crawl in (not easy for me) mine also stays dry but I let ours use the whole of my top garden now, so they go into my pen thats smaller, to lay thier eggs!! I actualy enjoyed it, so watched it again...I want to see some more of these little films from some others as well!! brill idea!!

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:02:41 pm »
I can just about get into the chicken run (there's a hatch at the far end near the brick shed and you need to be a bit bendy). I do need a helping hand to get out though. The first time I did it (to get an egg that they had laid in the middle of the run) I got stuck for a bit and my husband returned from work to find a chicken and wife run ! Fortunately he decided to let me out.

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 02:12:21 pm »
I have a job getting into mine too!!!!I made ours in the courner of our walled garden and used 2 painters tressles (I think) that were old and rotten, they made a brilliant frame after I cut the bits I did not need, then I attached wire all around, the stuff like yours, a nd put plastic corrigated roof, nailing one end firmly down with 3 sheets that lift off...at the time, we had a load of joiners and builders staying and also a friend, they all had thier rye smiles thinking it would fall apart in the next few days, well that was over 3 years ago, maybe even 4 and its still standing, its dry as its sheltered and the high winds have NOT blown off the roof!!!! I had some hubbards in ours for last year, I also connect out chicken hut, the same size as yours, to the end!!!!!! 

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:18:53 pm »
Love the fernery & willow arbour, will get round to doing one on our plot one day!
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 02:13:31 pm »
The first time I did it (to get an egg that they had laid in the middle of the run) I got stuck for a bit and my husband returned from work to find a chicken and wife run ! Fortunately he decided to let me out.

I went into ours (hubby no where near thankfully) and the chickens ALL came in as well due to our dogs being in the chicken bit of our garden....I got out very spritely...quite frightening for me at the time!!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:40 pm »
You have a lovely garden I love to see a garden used to it's max and not looking all pruned and not a leaf out of place or full of concrete as most city gardens are these days

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »
I just ADORE your 'patio heater' - does it throw off much heat used like that? You've got my little brain cells going now; I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE that in my kitchen but sadly not even room for my Aga. Clever you and thanks for sharing.

:love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS