Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I have to cut a Walnut tree overhanging next door?  (Read 10927 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Do I have to cut a Walnut tree overhanging next door?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »
What news BML?  :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Martin C

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
It is a good thing at least that your neighbour ask you to cut back the branches instead of just getting up there and making a mess of it himself. Walnuts are differant to most trees in that they need to be pruned when in full leaf. Also frost can play havoc with walnuts so at least put him off till next year now. Good luck with the TPO, mature walnuts are very special trees. It is a sad fact but most mature trees should have a TPO, they take years to grow and hours to cut down. Shame but us tree surgeon do have to eat.

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 11:12:19 pm »
Hi BML
I work as an arboricultural consultant and deal with similar situations on a daily basis. Looking through the thread there are some truths however there are also some grey areas. Under common law your neighbour has the right to prune back branches (and roots) to the boundary but can not enter you land and must offer all the arisings back (otherwise it is theft), unless you live in a Conservation area or the tree is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). In this situation a notification/ application must me made to the Local Planning Authority stipulating the works. From what you are suggesting it would be likely that the Tree Officer would refuse on the grounds that the works don't comply with BS3998:2010 Recommendations for tree work. Speaking to your local Tree officer may help and they may think a TPO is appropriate given the immediate threat however be warned the local authorities can't just TPO any tree it must be expedient in the interest of local amenity i.e. if you live in the middle of nowhere and the tree is not of public benefit they may choose not to get involved. Good luck.

Regarding pruning, avoid spring and late summer/autumn. With most broadleaves the best time to prune is a month or so after buds burst in the spring. Bud burst and leaf senescence uses a lot of energy, give the tree a bit of time to photosynthesis before damaging it.   

BML

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:12:05 am »
Your right about the tree having to be of public benefit.  This was something I learnt when the tree officer came round.  I think "good sense" will prevail in the end and we will reach a compromise unlike a small minded twit a couple of hundred yards away from us cut everything off that was level with their boundary.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS