Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching advise please !  (Read 2880 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
Hatching advise please !
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:26:19 am »
Hi all , I am brand new to this forum ,so please forgive me if this has been covered before. I purchased 6 hatching eggs and placed them under one of my boody hens . On day 22 the first chick arrived , fluffed up nicely and is looking good . It is now day 24 and no other eggs have hatched . I have read that hens know if eggs are not fertile and will kick them out . My hen comes out briefly for food in the morning but quickly returns to the nest pushing the remaining eggs under her . I am also concerned that she wont go out into the run with the chick to encourage it to eat and drink . When should I give up on the remaining eggs and remove them ? I do have another broody hen sitting on dummy eggs at the moment. Any advise will be very much appreciated ,
Stefan.

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
Re: Hatching advise please !
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:47:08 am »
you can lift the mother out and place her next to food, water, and her chick.  Have you got food for the chick?
Heather

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:01 am »
Chicken eggs take 21 days to incubate so chances are the remainder will not now hatch.

Give the eggs another day under her if you want to, then remove them. Meanwhile place the food and water near to the hen. Make sure the water is VERY shallow as chicks can drown easily.

Mum will wander out with her chick when she is ready, just make sure she can see where you have placed the food and water - chick crumbs a little dampened is ideal for them both - mum will peck at them and show the little one what to do.

This link might be useful:

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/incubation-and-hatching/incubation-using-a-broody-hen.html

Hope all goes well.

:chook:

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »
Chicken eggs take 21 days to incubate so chances are the remainder will not now hatch.

Give the eggs another day under her if you want to, then remove them. Meanwhile place the food and water near to the hen. Make sure the water is VERY shallow as chicks can drown easily.

Mum will wander out with her chick when she is ready, just make sure she can see where you have placed the food and water - chick crumbs a little dampened is ideal for them both - mum will peck at them and show the little one what to do.

This link might be useful:

http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/incubation-and-hatching/incubation-using-a-broody-hen.html

Hope all goes well.
Many thanks Heather & Ohlala ,  I do have chick crumbs ready and will take your advise , also thanks for the link  :)
 :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »
Possibly a little late now but I always leave eggs four days after the supposed due date in case the eggs were cold/shaken up prior to going under the hen.  And what's the harm in leaving them.  She'll possibly chuck them out the nest if they aren't viable anyway.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS