Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicken feed  (Read 2752 times)

john duffy

• Joined Nov 2008
chicken feed
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:36:36 am »
its might be easier to ask what not to feed chickens . also one of my chickens feathers have changed to a lighter colour. could anyone help with this enquiry thank you.

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: chicken feed
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:43:08 am »
hi there -if there young there could be  devoloping adult plummage and if there white and gone yellow its sunlight. what breeds are they and there age and what colours have they gone from too ???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:48:35 pm by lordlonk »

john duffy

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:02:39 pm »
hi lordlonk they are 2 yrs old not sure of breed colour brown now changed to very light brown. also very letharic thanks JD

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:21:48 pm »
Lethargic isn't normally good sign but they might be cold.  Mine sit on the snow to conserve body heat.  If you can post pictures someone might know the breed.  Are they free range - you can't control what they are eating if they are.  Mine are half free - they are in a large run and I feed mine layers pellets, raw left over veges, porridge with milk an honey, couscous, rice, plus they eat any insects and other beasties on the ground as well as earth/grit.  My ex battery hens are very friendly, my light Sussex are scaredy pies. Strange thing is Sussex were hand reared, batts have little human contact while at the farm.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS