Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strange bottom  (Read 4393 times)

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
Strange bottom
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:24:59 am »
Hi, we now have some ex batts, who came to us ready plucked and almost oven ready, they were in that bad of a state.
They are doing well now and seem to be mixing well with our other birds.
Hubby was cleaning them out the other day and noticed a funny lump on the bottom of one of the ex batts.
As I work at the moment and it is dark when I get in I have not been able to have a look, off work today and we went to dig them out of the snow again so I could have a look.
The lump we think is around her vent area, it is very swollen and strange looking and has a bloodied look about it almost bare muscle, It also reminds me of the parsons nose on a oven ready bird but with a bloddied muscle like skin over it, it seems to have a little bit of poo stuck to it, we tried to wipe if off with straw this morning but it does not look too good.  She his eating but has not put on as much weight as the others and her feathers don't seem to growing as much.
Is she ill, has she a growth or something, as she only cost 50p I am very reluctant to try and get through all this snow up here to get to the vets and pay about £30.00 for him to say ring her neck.

Any help and advice would be most welcome
Thanks
Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Strange bottom
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:24:25 pm »
She might have an infected area and the other hens may be pecking it too.  I am a great believer in savlon antiseptic cream - wash the area with luke warm water with a little fairy liquid in it, rinse it off, then slap some cream on.  Not an area that can be bandaged but I did this with a hen that one of my dogs got and she lived for another 5 years!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

greenfingers

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Grange by Keith, Banffshire
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:00:43 pm »
We have just had our neighbour around to look at the chicken, she a farmer.  She said that the chicken has got a prolasped egg sack and that there is nothing we can do about it.  We just need to keep an eye on her just to see how shw goes, but if she gets into too much discomfort then the ineventable will have to happen.

Elaine
Elaine

Always look on the bright side of life, de dum, de dum de dum, de dum!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »
I'd clean it gently and isolate her in case other hens are bullying her. Give her a chance. My gut feeling is either she'll die or you'll have to despatch her. Sorry to be pessimistic but it doesn't sound very hopeful.

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:25:43 pm »
I've had the same thing on a couple of hens previously..... one didn't make it the other recovered, but it recurred every six months or so.

As mentioned put savlon on it..... keep it clean and seperate her, cos the other hens will peck at it!!!!

Keep her eating and drinking and see what happens!

Brown bread and cod liver oil.... i tried it with the second one and it cleared up.... maybe a fluke? but worth a go!  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:44:40 pm »
I gave a sick hen of mine porridge oats and honey, mixed with milk.  That helped her get back to reasonable health.  I give my new ex batts that as well.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:41 am »
weve had this before and nats has healed them back to good health on one or 2 occassions - iwill ask her again what she did

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS