Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cost of shearing?  (Read 9207 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: cost of shearing?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 03:57:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about that morri2. I would definitely query the bill. Terrible. I would have hit the roof. Name and shame.

I 've noticed no prices ever given for the singing shearer. Would anyone like to throw a bit of light on this?

:sheep:

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 04:22:29 pm »
Yes, I cannot give a list of prices because every job is different, for example some sheep are more difficult to shear and some people are very badly organised which can affect the price. Also some jobs I will take a generator and shearing trailer which has to be factored in so it is much easier to talk to each customer and work a price out from the information given.

If I have to travel a long way then I have to charge for that too which would make giving a list of prices almost impossible. I do have a minimum charge per job unless the flock is over a certain number, after which I charge per sheep.

Hope this helps,
Philip :sheep:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 04:38:01 pm »
.........some people are very badly organised which can affect the price.

Have to agree with that.

Anyhow, sounds like you do a good job  :)  and you must have good stories.......
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:31:54 am by OhLaLa »

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:32 pm »
Most commercial shearers really don't want to set up for small numbers of sheep. Most decent shearers want to clip about 200 head a day. It's a short season and they are trying to run a commercial business which makes it difficult to justify all the fixed costs involved with shearing very small flocks. The cost of transport and the gear that they use is the same to turn out to clip 10 is the same as with 200! commercially here in the NE of scotland we tend to charge around £1.10 but with small lots we normally just chat about an agreeable price. 30 notes for less than 10, 50 for anything up to about 40 head. With these small lots it is often better to try and transport them to a local farm and have them clipped by the lads while the farmer is having his own big flock clipped.

Hope that seems like a reasonable guide.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 02:53:38 pm »
Most commercial shearers really don't want to set up for small numbers of sheep. Most decent shearers want to clip about 200 head a day. It's a short season and they are trying to run a commercial business which makes it difficult to justify all the fixed costs involved with shearing very small flocks

I am what you would call a commercial shearer and can shear over 200 a day but I will also happily set up for 1 sheep as they all need shearing, obviously these customers have to pay more but are mostly happy to save their backs and their sheep. For a small flock, to save setting everything up I use a motor in handpiece and a small board.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:27 pm »
Just as a foot note. I know it's getting late in the season but if anyone needs sheep shorn in the NE of Scotland I am available. As with the singing shearer I'm a commercial set up so I have all the equipment needed to take on almost any size of job from 1 to 2000. Small lots don't worry me in the slightest, I enjoy the banter!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS