Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cost of shearing?  (Read 9280 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
cost of shearing?
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:43:59 pm »
How much can I expect to pay per ewe for shearing?
I've only got nine but Just haven't got the time to do it myself this year. I've got someone lined up for the job, but he probably won't expect anything for the job but he's done me several favours already  so I want to pay him the going rate.

Shnoowie

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Cornwall
    • Binty's Farm
Re: cost of shearing?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »
We had 12 Ryelands sheared and it cost us £40 in total :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:34:01 pm »
My 25 cost me 60 quid, plus a couple of jars of (home) honey as a tip. He did a great job, really no cuts at all and was a great chat too.

If your shearer refuses to take money a few home-produced treats may be a good way of paying.... we usually find that sausages, honey and jams are really well received. (and yes I know the sausages are probably highly illegal, so far no flashing sirens up our lane though...)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:51:38 pm »
He asked for £20 for shearing our nine when I pressed him so I gave him £30. He's always ready to help if I'm stuck. What's so dodgy about your bangers?

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:55:06 am »
£50 for 12 but that was peak shearing season and in the south east

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »
We have just had our 35 sheared.  11 Bowmonts and the rest Polled Dorsets.  Last year we paid £1 per sheep for a good job, hardly any cuts and nics.  This year it was disasterous - not just nics and cuts but deep wounds.  One shearer cut half of one of my Dorset's ear off, one Bowmont ewe suffered a cut udder, so deep the milk was coming out (didn't touch the teat thankfully, although we'll have to see how she heals), another Bowmont lost a huge chunk of her rather loose neck (they have necks like camels!!) These were  the worst injuries, there were many other not so serious gashes which look dreadful. The shearers were warned that extra care would be needed when shearing the Bowmonts as they are very difficult, and they were also warned about the loose skin on their necks, but clearly chose not to heed the warnings in their rush to get to the next job.  And then, on top of all this carnage they told us it would cost £90!!!  Just wait until the bill arrives.  I'll be straight on to the boss.  I don't mind paying for a good clean  job - we offered to pay more for the Bowmonts anyway due to the problems involved with shearing them, but not for such substandard workmanship.....and they were wearing their championship wining T shirts  :o ??? ::)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:06:13 pm »
I presume the udder needed glued or stitched plus antibiotics , i would phone the contractor and say he will get the vets bill !!!!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »
we got our 3 shetlands done (have more than that but the rest were roo'd) and we were charged £30.  He says that was his 'call out fee' and cos we only had 3 sheep, he didnt charge us for each of the sheep as well!  and i gave his some sausages and eggs..beginning to think that maybe that was a bit expensive......

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »
and forgot to say that he also cut one of them really really badly

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »
Hi Morri2.

It sounds like you have had some very inexperienced shearers. I have sheared Polwarths and Corriedale crosses which I would think won't be too different to your Bowmonts and I found that with the right gear they are easier than some British breeds.

If you need any help next year I would be happy to see if I can come as I am willing to take the time to do a good job.

Hope your sheep aren't in too much of a mess.
Philip :sheep:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:32:36 pm »
I had my five Shetlands (as wild as hawks :o) and my three Ouessants shorn on Friday by the good boy up the lane from me. Beautifully shorn (I was tempted to ask him to do my hair :D) kind, calm and capable. I traded a roll of  unwanted electric poultry fencing.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 09:43:11 pm »
I hand-clipped the Bowmonts last year, and found them a bit tedious and slow, and the clippers got blunt quite quickly... but really not that difficult. In comparison to Shetlands there was not a rise as such, so more care needed.

I am sorry it was such a disastrous experience, hopefully the udder will heal! And yes I would not pay the bill without a huge fuss (if you have alternative shearers available for next year).

Re: my bangers, nothing bad about them, just home-made and as such illegal to trade....

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 09:57:02 pm »
Hi Phil,  Thanks for the offer there.  Good to hear there is actually a shearer with the experience of such fine wool. I was beginning to wonder whether it was just my sheep!! The guys who sheared my flock were allegedly championship standard  ::).  I may well take you up on your offer if OH doesn't get around to his shearing course again this year. I was thinking about you when our first shearing session failed to transpire, but I thought north Wales would be too far.  We all learn from our mistakes.   Cheers!! :wave:

Anke, firstly thanks for your for previous advice regarding shearing the Bowmonts.  Nigel did, as my post here says, warn them of the problems you pointed out previously, also another lady who has two Bowmonts from me earlier this year advised me to point out the loose neck problem  as her two suffered bad wounds to their necks thanks either inexperienced or negligent shearers. Although I doubt they were as bad as one of my poor sheepies, who now has a chunk of neck missing. See piccie attached which will show you what I mean.  The Bowmont with the cut udder looks as though she'll heal OK, thanks - just keeping a close eye on her now.   :wave:

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »
I would just like to recomend the singing shearer he came and sheared my 6 a few months ago,not a single cut on any of them,i did look at doing them myself but when you whey up the costs and stress of doing it yourself its really not worth it,by costs i mean if you were to pay yourself for all the hours took taking up to sheering and the stress it just doesnt add up.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation piggy.

Morri2,

North Wales isn't too far as I have some jobs within walking distance of the border, although I have never quite managed to get into Wales yet.
I have a lot of customers who can't find a shearer who is happy to shear the more difficult breeds, but I like the challenge of doing a good job where some people would refuse to even try.

Anke,

Bowmonts, having been bred from Merinos probably won't get any rise and the shears will have to work harder to cut the wool. So they will need to be much sharper than normal dagging shears which is what most people use.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS