Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tefal Jam Maker ??  (Read 21350 times)

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
Tefal Jam Maker ??
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »
Has anyone used this jam maker ? or knows anyone who has please.

I have been reading the reviews on this today and its making me wonder as I am a kitchen technic fanatic !  Mind you the bread maker didnt go down well and never got one edible loaf from that.  I do make lovely bread myself but got one just to see if it saved time (it didnt !!!), now I'm debating on the tefal jam maker.

My hubby says "Please try to put her off" but I am one of these that is dying to try it  ::)

rustyme

Re: Tefal Jam Maker ??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:47:04 pm »
hello Milly,
           I can't say about the jam maker , I just use a saucepan !!! but as for the breadmaker , I use mine all the time . I make at least one loaf per week , usually two . I have had them go wrong ie stay small and solid , collapse in the middle etc , but all failures have been for a traceable reason. Very often I use the ready mix pacs and these nearly always work out perfect. Only ones that have been in the cupboard too long go wonky..... I use a Prima A9 bread maker , one cost me £20 new and another £5 on ebay . They have both worked perfectly . I have even made sponge cakes in them and you can make jam in them too !!!! I have been using my breadmakers for over 5 years now and only one is showing any signs of wear. That one , the nonstick in the pan is wearing off and can stick sometimes, at £20 for a new pan though I will just get another one of ebay or from my auntie who gets them from bootsales for £2-£5 always nearly new, sometimes unused even. As for jam ...I think I will stick to the saucepan , and hope that the jam doesn't.... :o ;D ::)

cheers

Russ

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 01:58:20 pm »
Hi Russ
My sister uses hers all the time and with wonderful results - its just me I have not had one good loaf off them - even the dogs & birds wont touch LOL.  I used it on & off for two years as well !?! - persistent little thing me.
I may try again - would have to buy a new one as hubby threw the last one with great glee and the kids laughing their socks off.  I think even the dog was grateful.
I'll let you know if I decide to try again
Milly

rustyme

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:06:04 pm »
Yes it is funny isn't it ? sometimes things just don't work for some people !!! I really only started to use a breadmaker because I hated all the kneading by hand .....not just lazy ....have smashed my hands and shoulders a few times in accidents and I am now paying for it .... ::) Rather than buying another one though , couldn't you visit your sister and try making one in her breadmaker ?

cheers
Russ

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 03:16:27 pm »
Hiya,
I have to say on the jam, that I always just use a big pot - it takes up less room in my small kitchen than lots of different appliences and I use it for batch cooking soups, stews etc too.
As for the bread making - I had a go of my mum's and it worked fine - but I do remember something about adding yeast & water in a specific order depending on which type you use - might be worth having another wee read at the manual?
Good luck & if you do buy your jam maker let us know how it performs !
Karen x

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:15:04 pm »
My sister said that about the order in which you put the ingredients in - but I lost the manual (typical really for me)
But even the bought at shop ready made ones never worked for me.  I bet I got a duff one and she got the good one LOL
Well thats my theory anyway

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:21:45 am »
Most bread makers have a jam making function. If you don't want to use a saucepan you could try that first before you invest in another gadget. I suppose the principle is the same. I go with Russ on this one, a large saucepan it is for me. :&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:33:26 am »
borrowing one is always a good start ask on the fife (freecycle)chat site if any have one you could borrow? or get a lend of your sister machine

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 09:41:06 am »
Just out of curiosity, what went wrong with your bread, Milly? Maybe we can suggest something so you get decent bread out of your machine. :&>

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 12:22:52 pm »
Sorry have not tried the jam maker but would be interested to hear how it goes.  I am going to be a virgin jam maker this year and this sounds like it could be the easier option!!  We got a bread maker at Xmas (Tesco own make) and have only bought 2 shop loaves since!  it is trial and error, this week Bobby made peanut butter bread!!!  Yummy!!

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:23 pm »
Hiya all
Been off line for a few days (thanks BT), but move done settled in - very happy. 

Hehe the good news is my mother is buying me the jam maker as a moving in present. Yeahhhhhhhhh what would we do without them eh  :D

Well basically even the dogs wouldnt touch my bread - it was harder than cement blocks LOL.  The family even used to take it away to show the inlaws, sister, mother - in fact anyone who wanted a good laugh at my expense.  I can now make bread by hand quite well so it was worth it in the end (At least the dogs will eat this) only kidding.

Anyway back to the jam maker - When it comes I think I am going to go & buy some fruit !!! Can't wait for mine to produce.  So I'll let you know what happens.  Also I have seen that some breadmakers can be used for jam making - I ask myself is this a good excuse to try it again ???

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »
Hand made bread is so yum and all the kneeding gets all sorts of stuff out of the system! We have been given a stone oven (works on electricity), but it takes ages to heat up, so I only do it when I really have a lot of time lol. If your bread was really hard from the machine, the water may have been to hot - then it kills the yeast. Happened to me when I made more than 1 and didn't bother letting it cool down (and twice when I forgot to put any yeast in)...
Let us know how the jam maker works for you! :&>

xxmillyxx

• Joined Jan 2009
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:44 pm »
will do - I am sure I will have to try it straight away LOL

On the bread making - I have just got a small book giving plans for an outside stone bread oven/pizza oven which I am trying to talk the OH into building this summer (well easter really).  It can be adapted for a barbie as well, not too large but looks fascinating.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 08:06:21 pm »
Where did my mind go reading your post - firing Barbies - almost as good as shooting them with an air rifle (all little girls cry NOOO, but I'm so glad all of them left this house now to delight other families). I've seen one of these lovely contraptions in Jamie Oliver's program and so would love one. If it works, can you share the plans? We do have to build a new duck house first though and time flies...:&>

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:48 am »
i want one of them !!!!

saw a clay oven being used on noteasybeing green and want a go at using one too. I was thinking of having one of the greece b b q things in the garden as a use long thing but think the terracota wounldnt cope with the cold and crack?

any ideas

have a look at this
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http://www.broodoven.com/downloads/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:12:45 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS